Issue with ProfilesRNS_CallPRNSWebservice.dtsx

sn...@bsd.uchicago.edu

Sep 11, 2023, 12:21:58 PM9/11/23
to ProfilesRNS
Hello --

We've run into an issue with ProfilesRNS_CallPRNSWebservice.dtsx with the job parameter Funding.

Specifically, it's failing on [Profile.Data].[Funding.DisambiguationResults] attempting to insert a Principal Investigator (PrincipalInvestigatorName, 122 chars) into a 100 char column.

Funding ID: U24HG010262
PrincipalInvestigatorName: CARROLL, ROBERT J;GROSSMAN, ROBERT L.;HALL, IRA M;HALL, JENNIFER L;HAUSSLER, DAVID H;PATEN, BENEDICT ;PHILIPPAKIS, ANTHONY

Our DBA has given us three options:
  1. Truncate the data in the load procedure
  2. Add a where clause to skip records that exceed the  length of the column
  3. Expand the size of the target column
Best recommended approach here?

Thanks, Stephan

Brown, Nicholas William

Sep 11, 2023, 3:09:55 PM9/11/23
to profi...@googlegroups.com

Stephan

The easiest approach would be to do option 1. You would simple need to change varchar(max) to varchar(100) on the principalInvestigatorName column of that stored proc and it will truncate the data. The disadvantage of this approach is that you will see the truncated data on the website when you go to the researcher’s page.

Option 3 is probably the best way to handle it, you would need to expand the column in the [Profile.Data].[Funding.DisambiguationResults] table, and also in the [Profile.Data].[Funding.Agreement] table. Data is also copied from that column to the RDF, but that is a varchar(max) column, so you shouldn’t get a truncation error there. I don’t think it is copied anywhere else. But I haven’t tested widening that column, so you would want to check all the jobs run correctly after running this/

I would avoid option 2. It would be more complex that option 1, and if someone tries to manually add that grant, it will fail for them.

Nick