Correcting internalusername, profiles scrambled

sn...@bsd.uchicago.edu

Nov 3, 2023, 10:30:50 AM11/3/23
to ProfilesRNS
We discovered an issue where two faculty, Smith and Jones, were loaded with their internalusername values transposed.

I updated [ProfilesRNS].[Profile.Import].[Person], [ProfilesRNS].[Profile.Import].[PersonAffiliation], [ProfilesRNS].[Profile.Import].[PersonFilterFlag], and [ProfilesRNS].[User.Account].[User] with the correct values and allowed the jobs to run for several days. We run nightly, weekly, and monthly jobs every night.

Now however, when searching 'Smith', the display name and title/email etc are correct but the image and all other profile sections display 'Jones' data and vice versa. So the profile data appears scrambled/mixed up.

I'm at a loss on what to try next. Ideas?

Thanks, Stephan

Brown, Nicholas William

Nov 3, 2023, 11:07:52 AM11/3/23
to profi...@googlegroups.com

Stephan

The import code in profiles didn’t really understand that you were altering the internalusername. From Profiles’ perspective it thought you were updating the names on the existing accounts, and because of that, it updated the names and other data in the import tables, but it left all other data connected to that account. This left you with a situation where you have the mixed up data.

The easiest way to handle publications would be to update the person ID for both users in the  [Profile.Data].[Publication.Person.Include] (and if they have added any publications manually [Profile.Data].[Publication.Person.Add], and [Profile.Data].[Publication.Person.Exclude]) tables.

With respect to any other data. I suspect it would be easiest to log in as a Proxy and delete the data from one person and add it to the other. You could do this in the database, but I suspect that it would be more effort than doing it through the front end.

Nick

sn...@bsd.uchicago.edu

Dec 1, 2023, 11:42:01 AM12/1/23
to ProfilesRNS
Nick -- sorry I was pulled away from ProfilesRNS due to competing priorities for an extended period.

We're still in a situation where faculty A's data look good, but faculty B has A's pubs reloaded every night, even after I've manually corrected things via the UI.

Is there a mechanism whereby I can completely purge the two faculty and start again from scratch? I'm pretty sure I've made things worse in that the UserID value in [ProfilesRNS].[Profile.Data].[Person] is swapped compared to [ProfilesRNS].[User.Account].[User], and I'm unsure of how many other instances where this is occurring nor which would be the correct value. I did try to correct this but it resulted in a search on A's name yields B's profile and vice versa.

Purging all records in [Profile.Data].[Publication.Person.Include], [Profile.Data].[Publication.Person.Add], and [Profile.Data].[Publication.Person.Exclude] for the two faculty didn't have any effect; after jobs run B was still showing A's pubs.

Stephan

Brown, Nicholas William

Dec 1, 2023, 12:06:08 PM12/1/23
to profi...@googlegroups.com

Stephan

I have completely removed someone from profiles a couple of times, I use the following script when I do it

https://github.com/nicholaswilliambrown/ProfilesRNS_Utilities/blob/master/HardDeletePerson.sql

Note that this is not something that has received a huge amount of testing. It should do what you want, but I would suggest taking a backup before running it, and if possible running it in a test environment first.