Research Activities and Funding Bug

Brian Turner - UCSF

Mar 2, 2022, 4:32:04 PM3/2/22
to ProfilesRNS
Our users identified an issue with manually-entered or edited grants. The section that is labeled  "Brief Description" in the edit screen shows as "Role Description" in the public view. In the Public view it would make sense to call it simply "Description". There is already a Role section in both places so this may just be an oversight in the code.

Brian

Grant Description Bug.JPG

Meeks, Eric

Mar 9, 2022, 2:27:27 PM3/9/22
to profi...@googlegroups.com

A little more on this. It looks like a cut-paste-edit but. From the UI, in most places this field looks like it is NOT related to  the researchers role on the project, but is instead just a description of the project itself.

However, the code stores this in a variable called txtRoleDescription, and the Profile view (but not the Edit one) confusingly refers to it as Role Description as well.

Not a huge problem, but we are confused by this.

Eric

Our users identified an issue with manually-entered or edited grants. The section that is labeled "Brief Description" in the edit screen shows as "Role Description" in the public view. In the Public view it would make sense to call it simply ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart

This Message Is From an External Sender

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd

Our users identified an issue with manually-entered or edited grants. The section that is labeled  "Brief Description" in the edit screen shows as "Role Description" in the public view. In the Public view it would make sense to call it simply "Description". There is already a Role section in both places so this may just be an oversight in the code.

Brian

Brown, Nicholas William

Mar 10, 2022, 5:00:29 PM3/10/22
to profi...@googlegroups.com

Eric

For some context of what happened here, The role description column was originally created to allow a user to add a short description of their role on the project, and was supposed to be available on both Custom and Imported funding activities.  which is why it is in the role table not the agreement table, as this value would be different for each person on the grant. This was never implemented for imported grants, and when we added it to the custom funding we gave it a very confusing name, that clearly implies that it is a description of the project not the role, I’m not sure why we did that.

Nick