Under-specified?

chuck.hinson

May 31, 2011, 2:26:40 AM5/31/11
to Application-Level Profile Semantics (ALPS)
Interesting experiment. Maybe I'm missing something, but the media
type seems a little under-specified.

Consider a client that wants to display the list of all messages in
the system. Given the root url for the application, how does the
client know how to proceed? The media type definition doesnt say
anything at all about the application root, so in theory, the server
could return a message-post form and be compliant.

--Chuck

mca

May 31, 2011, 8:40:36 AM5/31/11
to profile-...@googlegroups.com
Chuck:

good to see your note.

if i understand your Q correctly, you are asking how a client make a
specific request (e.g. all messages). I included a link rel just for
this purpose (@rel="messages"). the question then is (again, if i
follow you), how can a client be assured of getting a representation
that contains _that_ link, right?

I have chosen to _not_ use any MUST/SHOULD language on what servers
return in representations (Servers MUST return the "messages" link in
all representations, etc.).

Am I understanding your point? Do you have suggestions on how it might
be solved?

mca
http://amundsen.com/blog/
http://twitter.com@mamund