help with new profile

Ricardo Kirkner

Mar 10, 2014, 12:46:05 PM3/10/14
to profile-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm documenting the semantics for an HTML based hypermedia API and I thought I should write a profile in order to better document the semantics.

I found that there is an alps profile that matches most of my resource data attributes (SoftwareApplication) but that is missing some pieces I want to define. I have a few questions though

1. Is it possible to "inherit" from multiple profiles? (to mix attributes from other profiles that are not included in SoftwareApplication)
2. SoftwareApplication defines a "screenshot" attribute, but if I want to specify my custom Application to have a list of screenshots, should I define my custom descriptor, or just include multiple "screenshot" descriptors?

thanks,
Ricardo

mca

Mar 11, 2014, 1:12:27 PM3/11/14
to profile-...@googlegroups.com
Ricardo:

couple things:
- ALPS[1] is still very unstable (not even an IETF I-D yet!) so be careful here while we sort it out and start the publishing process
- the SoftwareApplication[2] profile you reference was pulled (forked, actually) directly from Schema.org. That is stable, AFAIK.

now for the whole inherit/extend stuff from the ALPS POV.
- yes, ALPS has some content about how inheritance should work[3] but that text is pretty vague (sorry). I don't know of any implementations of this yet.
- what I've been telling people to do right now is to "fork* the profile that comes the closest, add what you need and publish that forked profile into the ALPS Profiles repo[4] on github. This is a bit more effort but it will make sure your profile does not drift and will help build up a set of curated profiles that are not just copies of something else, but are *real-world* examples.

Finally, I invite you to join the ALPS mailing list[5] where you can discuss this with the few currently working with ALPS. We're all very interested in making it better based on real world uses.

Cheers