Call for Chapters-New book on Inclusive Games!

Kat Schrier Shaenfield

Nov 19, 2021, 3:09:51 PM11/19/21
to professor...@googlegroups.com

Hi all-

Do you use games in your classroom to enhance empathy and inclusion?

I am excited to announce a call for chapters for the fourth book in the Learning, Education & Games series, published by ETC Press:

Learning, Education, & Games Volume 4: 50 Games to Use for Inclusion, Equity, and Justice

Editor: Karen “Kat" Schrier & ???

Submit a short proposal for the book!

Deadline for Initial “5-Minute” Proposals: December 9, 2021

Notification of Acceptance: By January 7, 2022

First Draft Due: April 1, 2022

Quick summary:

For the fourth volume of the Learning, Education, & Games series, we aim to create a practical guide for how to use games for supporting inclusion, compassion, care, equity, and justice—in the classroom and beyond. This is a guide, aimed at educators, who want to use games that create inclusive communities, and enhance equity and justice for marginalized students

The guide will include at least 50 case studies of games/interactive experiences that could be used for education (including K-12, preschool, and higher education).

Each case study will be approximately 1000 words (or fewer). The case studies will be peer-reviewed (double anonymized) and editorially reviewed, though the initial proposals will only be editorially reviewed.

The focus will be on anti-racist, inclusive, and equitable uses and designs of games. This includes how to use games not explicitly designed for inclusion, as well as how to incorporate games that are purposefully designed for inclusion in some way.

Submit a short proposal for the book!

For more about the book and details about the series, please see this document.

We welcome academics, researchers, educators, equity experts, counselors, principals, designers, developers, journalists, and YOU!

Co-editor: I may include a co-editor on this book! Please apply if you are highly motivated, organized, flexible, and love lots and lots of editing. I am particularly looking for a co-editor with a strong interest in gaming, as well as inclusion, equity, and justice. It would also be great if you don’t mind lots of tedious formatting. :) If you are interested, please email a resume and/or website/portfolio to Kat Schrier at ksch...@gmail.com

---

Dr. Karen (Kat) Schrier
http://www.karenschrier.com

Associate Professor & Director, Games & Emerging Media program, Marist College
Game Design Consultant, World Health Organization (WHO) Academy
Author, We the Gamers (Oxford University Press)
Author, Knowledge Games (Johns Hopkins University Press)
Editor, Learning, Education, & Games book series (ETC Press/Carnegie Mellon)
Author, Designing Ourselves (Center for Technology & Society)
Please call me Kat or Dr. Kat (She/They)
---