Exciting News! P@P PlayBook!

Forbes, Lisa K

Jul 12, 2021, 12:26:08 PM7/12/21
to professor...@googlegroups.com

Hello Everyone!

David and I have some exciting news! We have teamed up with Carnegie Mellon’s etc Press to publish The Professors at Play PlayBook: Playful teaching techniques in higher education! We are currently seeking submissions of playful learning techniques for this new anthology to be published in 2022. Submissions are due by October 31. For more details about the PlayBook and submission information, visit our website! We hope that you will consider submitting one of your playful ideas!

The PlayBook collects techniques showcasing a wide range of playful approaches to learning in a higher education setting submitted by playful educators from across the globe. The PlayBook provides a valuable resource for faculty seeking playful pedagogical approaches. Whether new to the idea of playful teaching or a seasoned pro, the PlayBook is a valuable and actionable resource containing a variety of techniques collected across a wide range of disciplines and settings. The techniques enhance current approaches to pedagogy by encouraging playfulness and creativity which establish an environment for trust, community, and risking failure. In this sense, the PlayBook encourages educators to think outside of a traditional lecture-based pedagogy expanding to a more playful, novel, and engaging one. The techniques presented go beyond traditional “gamification” which attempts to graft the fun of games onto traditional pedagogy without a necessary connection to the transformative powers of play. Instead, the PlayBook focuses on techniques starting with developing a more playful pose in the professor, through ice-breakers or connection formers, through content techniques and including full course playful design. The focus stays on technique, with an emphasis on practical application.

For those new to the idea of playful pedagogy, this publication also serves to further legitimize play in higher education.

Playfully,

David and Lisa

Lisa K. Forbes, PhD, LPC

Assistant Clinical Professor