Possible idea for book?

RONDA PAPENHAGEN

Mar 25, 2022, 9:47:02 AM3/25/22
to Professors at Play
LATER on as you are able to ROCK out this first book maybe taking a look at some ideas below could help as we all move forward? By grouping the ideas into the different areas, even if they are in more than one, might help new pre-service teachers.

I enjoy reading the www.Faculty Focus.com magazine articles and one called, Shuffle the Deck: Establishing a Sense of Belonging by Patricia Glynn might hold something to add to the list. She explains the difficulties of teaching online and how to be sure all students are given a chance to speak, and talk with the teachers early on building a relationship during the course time together.

The title and image used look like a deck of playing cards but really using 3x5 cards, like many of us have used before, can create a sense of playing cards. Meaning a game of chance on whose card will be pulled out to answer a question so keeps them on their toes either online or F2F.

Eventually it might be fun to also see classroom icebreakers or a get to know me section that it also playful, I recently organized students in a group by color partners so I can announce that they will group with their blue partner today for example which allows them a chance to hear other perspective when working in  a project. This is also easy for F2F or in a classroom setting.

Section for fun ways to:
Group up students and get to learn about each other
1-Icebreakers
2-Ways to call on each student during online or F2F
3-Ways to get to know each other besides a Blog post or a bingo card game

Ronda Papenhagen
Onsted High School
CTE
Business
Teacher

Computer Science
*Career Prep
Voices for Change Advisor*ELA
10109 Slee Road * Onsted, MI 49265

"Children, after all, are not just adults-in-the-making.
They are people whose current needs and rights and experiences must be taken seriously."
~Alfie Kohn

Wendy Murphy

Mar 25, 2022, 10:26:25 AM3/25/22
to RONDA PAPENHAGEN, Professors at Play
What great suggestions Ronda!!!

Wendy

Mar 25, 2022, 3:13:27 PM3/25/22
to Wendy Murphy, RONDA PAPENHAGEN, Professors at Play
Ha, funnily I just made an image (to go with a blogpost) with tips to encourage classroom discussion (works online or in person)

https://blog.mahabali.me/pedagogy/asking-questions-to-engage-students-in-discussions/

And I would seriously love it if folks here contributed playful intro and ice breaker (we call them warm-ups) and community building activities to the resources here: https://onehe.org/equity-unbound

I hope all is going well.

Maha

Maha Bali, PhD
Associate Professor of Practice, Center for Learning and Teaching, American University in Cairo
http://blog.mahabali.me
** Have you seen CLT's interactive newsletter https://learnhub.aucegypt.edu/cltnewsletter**

Creating Engaging Discussions.jpeg

Kelly Soczka Steidinger

Mar 30, 2022, 10:25:55 AM3/30/22
to Professors at Play
Hello All,

I love the icebreakers idea! In addition to face-to-face icebreakers, I think including Virtual/Zoom class icebreakers, as well as, fun introduction and farewell discussion boards for asynchronous courses would be an excellent addition to this idea! The book, Engaging the Online Learner, by Conrad and Donaldson provides examples of engaging online icebreakers but has not been updated since 2012. Additionally, there are great ways to conclude a course and bring some closure to the online learning community that are often overlooked by instructors.

I would willing to assist in the formation and/or construction of said material. I realize that the organization currently has it handsful with the current publication yet would be willing to connect with others via Zoom or Teams to outline this idea, discuss the process, and pull together a call this summer.

Just an idea....Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Kelly Soczka Steidinger, M.A.
Communication & Behavioral Science Instructor
Communication & GPS Team Lead
Mid-State Technical College - Stevens Point
Adjunct Lecturer, SUNY-Fredonia
Office Phone: 715-342-3125

Boone Valkenburg, Megan

Mar 30, 2022, 10:29:15 AM3/30/22
to Kelly Soczka Steidinger, Professors at Play
I would love to contribute to something like this. Currently, I'm doing a facilitator training series for folks wanting to facilitate a community of practice. We do many different icebreakers and mindfulness activities to create a positive and safe online presence.

Meg

--
Megan Boone Valkenburg, M.S.
Civic Engagement Office

Certified Facilitator of LEGO Serious Play

Mailing Address:
84 West South Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18766
Wilkes University's staff is working both virtually and in the office. Please know that I honor your boundaries and wellbeing; should you receive an email from me during your personal time, please feel empowered to wait to respond until you’re at work. Prioritize joy and wellness where you can, and know that I will do the same.

RONDA PAPENHAGEN

Mar 30, 2022, 11:06:02 AM3/30/22
to Boone Valkenburg, Megan, Kelly Soczka Steidinger, Professors at Play
I believe these types of discussions are always good reminders to hear and discuss but those "back to the basics" from early on we all learned...still hold value.
Great points and whatever is new could be added to the next edition #2!
Ice breaker or Teambuilding with a ball or balloon between students or a hula hoop is always fun no matter the age. Old school.