Playful Horror Project...Live Now! Come play with us...forever!

Katherine Troyer

Apr 25, 2022, 4:27:41 PM4/25/22
to Professors at Play
Hi all!

I teach horror at Trinity University in San Antonio Texas, where this year I'm also a public humanities fellow. I've been working on a project all year with some amazing students that creates a gamified way of thinking more critically about the horror genre...and it is LIVE!!! So immediately I had to share with this group!

Monster MAYhem is a bracket-style tournament happening now throughout the month of May that combines the calculated odds of March Madness with the pageantry of Wrestlemania. We analyzed data from 64 different horror texts and created a probabilistic algorithm to determine the likelihood that characters might survive in a battle against characters from other texts. And then, just for fun, we used a random number generator to allow for potential upsets!

Participants (this could be you!) can spend the next two weeks researching (or just picking) who they think will win and then starting May 8, the tournament begins. We are weaving together fictional narrative and tidbits of horror scholarship into written play-by-plays to create a fun way to think about how the horror genre shapes understanding.

Does this sound like fun? You can learn more about Monster MAYhem in this brief written introduction or, if you'd rather, there are video and podcast trailers. And everything you need to play is on our website.

Please consider playing! And feel free to send this to all the horror lovers in your life! Email me at ktr...@trinity.edu if you have questions!

Best,
Katherine A. Troyer, PhD
Assistant Director
The Collaborative for Learning and Teaching
Trinity University
she/her/hers