Play Syllabus

Doan Winkel

Dec 6, 2021, 8:52:42 AM12/6/21
to professor...@googlegroups.com
Good morning all -

I am working to design a course in our entrepreneurship minor that is an experience for students to reconnect with their imagination through play. I have little clue how I'd like it look or feel at the moment, but essentially I'd like the students to progress through ever-increasing complex play/games/scenarios/experiences where they have to use their creativity and imagination, with lots of problem solving going on. This course would be the first in our soon-to-be-redesigned entrepreneurship minor, where students practice entrepreneurial skills necessary to create value for others (idea development, customer development, prototyping, storytelling, etc.) so they can enjoy their journey as employees / freelancers / side-hustlers / entrepreneurs.

As I'm sure you can tell, I'm quite early in this process, and am a little all over the place. If anyone has any syllabi or materials that might help me think through this course development, I'd love to take a gander. And I'm happy to compile everything I learn, try, do and share it back with the group.

Thank you, and be well,
Doan

Doan Winkel
TEDx Talk
Co-Founder, Teaching Entrepreneurship
John J. Kahl Sr. Chair in Entrepreneurship & Director of the Muldoon Center for Entrepreneurship, John Carroll University
Special Advisor, USASBE (United States Association for Small Business & Entrepreneurship)
LinkedIn

Entrepreneurial Learning

Dec 6, 2021, 7:46:36 PM12/6/21
to Doan Winkel, professor...@googlegroups.com
Doan (and all), good evening from the Spain and the UK

I feel like 2 peas in a pod ! ;)
I have joined this amazing group, and had a brief e-interaction with Lisa re my quest to develop a play-based program for my Family Business masters students, on this side of the pond, and so will be reaching out in similar fashion to you👏.
Anyway, I have no idea if my "Playful Mocktail" attachment is the sort of thing that you might be looking for , but it's something that I have developed , crudely speaking, for my Toulouse Business School UG and PG learners; and it has now been published by EEUK in their Enterprise Educators' Toolkit, which you might find useful or not : https://www.etctoolkit.org.uk/. Hope it helps!

Would love to connect, share and learn more from each other as we journey playfully together, but in parallel (Entrepreneurship and Family Business) in the coming months! I'll post soon regarding my call for help in playing in the family business domain

My wishes to all
Ed

EEUK_Playful Mocktail.pdf

Katherine Troyer

Dec 8, 2021, 12:26:02 PM12/8/21
to Professors at Play
Hi Doan!

I have no syllabi to share...but this sounds amazing. I would love to see what you come up with! And I'd be happy to talk about some of the materials I use when teaching--in my own limited capacity--creativity and play.

Katherine A. Troyer, PhD
Assistant Director
The Collaborative for Learning and Teaching
Trinity University
she/her/hers

Laura Mitchell

Dec 9, 2021, 3:43:28 AM12/9/21
to Katherine Troyer, Professors at Play
Hi Doan
I also don’t have a syllabus, but I have worked with a professor in Entrepreneurship in Sweden about the role of play in entrepreneurship and we have shared discussions on the role of game types (especially simulation games versus parlour or roleplay games) in different parts of the entrepreneurship training program and the distinction in their contribution to learning on substantive or normative topics. So would be happy to have a chat if you like?
Drop me a message if you fancy a zoom or discord conversation.
Best
Dr Laura Mitchell

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Alison James

Dec 9, 2021, 5:47:47 AM12/9/21
to Katherine Troyer, Professors at Play
Hi Doan

I don't have detailed specifics to share but some of the things that have been coming up through my survey of how play is used and valued in HE do touch on play in entrepreneurship. A theme that came up several times is that of understanding value, or added value, in terms of what you are entrepreneuring with (Sorry - that is not even grammatical but I hope you know what I mean). So one participant puts all kinds of materials and smells (for want of a better word, some are fragrances and some are not) in little jars and invites students to respond to them; what do the scents evoke and how do they contribute a sense of added value (even if this is entirely misleading) to a potential consumer. An example would be lemon - which has associations, of freshness,cleanliness etc. Another colleague uses virtual reality to help students understand that when they are being entrepreneurial what they like or want is not always where their focus should be (understatement),but on the client's needs. This is where all kinds of simple play mechanisms can come in,like roleplays or the use of cue and prompt cards.

I'll be sharing my report in early 2022 so there may be more detail in there that will be useful for you. In the meantime I guess it is a question of seeing what it is you want to address in your curriculum and what sort of play or playful approach will fit with that,and how you feel about it and what your students are like.

And like Katharine said, do keep us posted!

Good luck with it and best wishes

Alison

Alison James

Dec 9, 2021, 5:52:12 AM12/9/21
to Entrepreneurial Learning, Doan Winkel, Professors at Play
Dear Ed

I love the idea of your Playful Mocktail! What a great way to bring together so many important concepts and capabilities in a single activity.  In my recent study of the use and value of different kinds of play a participant talked about how they used their child's Duplo Pizzeria to get students understanding why business rescue is preferable to business breakup. I know that's a world apart from the topic you were addressing, however I thought it had parallels in using something ostensibly simple and playbased to explore some complex issues.

I would love to refer to your activity and include the link in my final report if that is ok?

With all best wishes

Alison

Boone Valkenburg, Megan

Dec 9, 2021, 9:37:43 AM12/9/21
to Entrepreneurial Learning, Doan Winkel, professor...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
Meg from the US here.
I'm not sure if this is at all applicable, but I facilitated my First Year Foundations course in reimagining food pantries based on Katie S. Martin's book "Reinventing Food Banks and Pantries; New Tools to End Hunger" (2021) using the LEGO Serious Play Method. AH WOW, what an amazing outcome.
I can see many parallels as my students had to do research on our local food insecurity and food dignity movement, present their findings, develop a reimagined scenario based on recommendations from their text and research with food dignity champions in our community, and then use LEGOs to create the visuals of what this equitable pantry would look like. The outcome was for all of the teams to come together to choose elements from other teams' builds to create the ULTIMATE pantry. We used jamboards for teams to collaborate (although Mural is another option).
The teams flexed a lot of research, presentation, imagineering, empathy, critical thinking, and team-building skills.
I'm happy to chat more about the process.

Warmly,
Meg

--
Megan Boone Valkenburg, M.S.
Civic Engagement Office

Certified Facilitator of LEGO Serious Play

Mailing Address:
84 West South Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18766
Wilkes University's staff is working both virtually and in the office. Please know that I honor your boundaries and wellbeing; should you receive an email from me during your personal time, please feel empowered to wait to respond until you’re at work. Prioritize joy and wellbeing where you can, and know that I will do the same.

FYF LEGO Build 1 7.png
FYF LEGO Build 1 9.png
FYF LEGO Build 1 11.png
20211201_122652 (1).jpg

Entrepreneurial Learning

Dec 9, 2021, 3:25:32 PM12/9/21
to Alison James, Doan Winkel, Professors at Play
@Alison, what a lovely message. Thank you and love the Duplo Pizzeria activity. Not so far apart.
Feel absolutely free to include the link to the Playful Mocktail activity and would love if learners find it valuable to their journeys.
Have a lovely end to the week
Ed