Wanna Play? Potential Participant in Research Study

Forbes, Lisa K

Oct 26, 2021, 3:13:08 PM10/26/21
to professor...@googlegroups.com

Hi Everyone!

I hope that you have had a chance to check out the videos from this year’s Playposium. There were some really cool ideas presented throughout the day. I am emailing now for a different reason. I am hoping that some of you might be willing to participate in my research study on play. The only caveat is that to participate, you need to be a “play expert.” Play “experts” for this study are identified by meeting at least one or more of the following criterion: (a) an individual who has one or more publications on play, (b) an individual who has proposed or suggested a definition of play (that can be found published in the literature or online), (c) an individual who conducts research on play, or (d) an individual who serves in a leadership role within an organization or institute dedicated to play. If you believe you fit this description, please consider participating in this study! In addition, feel free to reply to this email to recommend to me other individuals who fit this description of a “play expert.”

The purpose of this research is to utilize the Delphi method which is a 3-round survey methodology that asynchronously gathers experts and creates an anonymous group communication process to further understand an undefined or ambiguous topic. This study will explore why there are so many definitions of play, why defining play is difficult and contested, what aspects generate the confusion, and to largely understand the language used to talk about play. This is a multi-round (3 rounds) iterative study, those who complete the three rounds will be entered into a drawing for a chance to win one of three $75 Amazon gift cards.

Study Length - Should you decide to participate, please click on this link. You will review and sign informed consent and then automatically enter the first round’s survey. Once data from round one is collected, and analyzed, I will send out the next survey. I believe there should be around a month between rounds so this study’s three rounds will conclude around January/February 2022 (to account for the holidays). Each survey should take you between 30-45 minutes and I will give you at least 2 weeks to complete a survey once it is emailed out.

Deadline for First Survey - The deadline to complete this first round survey and thus be included in this study is November 9th. Thank you for considering!

Lisa K. Forbes, PhD, LPC

Assistant Clinical Professor

Counseling Program

University of Colorado Denver