NoSQL DB's- Like MongoDB - and Schema Enforcement

ashore

Sep 10, 2014, 6:51:35 PM9/10/14
to professi...@googlegroups.com
I note the lack of schema enforcement that the NoSQL fanboys tout as a major assist in the flexibility these  beasts claim.  And yes, when there's no rules you have all of the flexibility you can stand.

But I'm not alone here I'm sure in pointing to the crap that gets culled out in the early days of a relational db development project, via schema enforcement.  (MySQL, bless your nit-picky bones!)

There simply HAS  to be some kind of validation/edit/whatever in that NoSQL world.

I'll appreciate any thoughts on this.  My curiosity is piqued!

Robert Gonzalez

Sep 12, 2014, 4:30:46 PM9/12/14
to professional-php
That's one of the selling points of the noSQL data stores... structure makes absolutely no difference. You are essentially storing your schema with each object you store, right? And since the schema is essentially the structure of the object, you have no worries when it comes time to get what you want out of the store.

Robert Gonzalez

Arnie Shore

Sep 13, 2014, 10:06:48 AM9/13/14
to professi...@googlegroups.com
Right.  Now I have this db of speeches realized by a collection of Word objects.

Now someone - in error - has posted to it what turns out to be a spreadsheet object.

Sorry, but it's not clear to me that the ability to do so is a "no worries" situation.   ????