Two different genomes in a single fasta file

Nikunj Maheshwari

Mar 5, 2015, 11:25:42 AM3/5/15
to prodigal...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have two different genomes (G1 and G2) in two separate files. When I run Prodigal on them separately, I get x and y number of proteins respectively. When I concatenate the two fasta files into a single fasta file (with two different IDs, of course) and run Prodigal again, I get x1 and y1 number of proteins for G1 and G2 respectively, which is not the same as x and y. Is there a reason behind this? Could it be that Prodigal considers a single genome in the single file and trains on it? I might be missing something very basic here, but I am new to Prodigal, so I wouldn't know.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Doug Hyatt

Mar 5, 2015, 11:29:16 AM3/5/15
to prodigal-discuss
Prodigal treats the contents of a FASTA file as a single genome.  You should split your genomes into separate files.  You can also analyze using metagenomic mode (-p meta), but this is not recommended for large sequences.

TIP: Never analyze a multiple FASTA file containing sequences from more than one genome using normal mode. The only exception to this rule would be if the genomes are closely related (strains of the same species).