Introduce yourself

Saber Khan

Oct 22, 2016, 2:46:04 PM10/22/16
to Processing Educators
Hello all,
Let's start a thread where members of the group introduce yourselves. Please tell us:

1) What groups do you work with or teach?
2) What do you do with Processing or p5.js?
3) What would you like to do with Processing or p5.js?

Thanks,
Saber

Saber Khan

Oct 22, 2016, 3:33:44 PM10/22/16
to Processing Educators
I'll go first

1) I teach high school CS at an all-boys private school in NYC, Browning School. There we teach computational thinking, coding, and design, to all grade from K to 9th. After that we offer electives in CS and robotics with an advanced CS course focused on the AP and full-stack development.

2) I use p5.js in a few different contexts. The 11th-grade coding elective used Dan Shiffman's Youtube to build a bunch of fun webpages. I complement the videos with lessons on HTML and CSS. I have also p5.js with younger groups of students too.

3) I would love to help build more events, meetups, and community around p5.js to support teachers.

Anderson Harp

Oct 22, 2016, 6:03:17 PM10/22/16
to Processing Educators

Hi!

1) I teach computing, problem-solving and design in grades K-8 at Browning.  This year I'm also working alongside two US students using school data to develop a more efficient solution to our school-wide use of limited space.  In addition to teaching, I work with other faculty writing curriculum that transforms lessons with technology.
2) I haven't started using Processing or p5.js with my students yet.  However, I'm going to try introducing p5.js with my 7th graders and a group of 4th grade girls I tutor on weekends.
3) I would love to work with teachers on developing projects that support ethics, data visualization, and self-expression.  I'd also want to support events that include students and their families coming together to create with p5.js.

Thanks organizers for getting this going and to all who joined today!

Anderson

stephen Lewis

Oct 22, 2016, 9:00:15 PM10/22/16
to Processing Educators
Stephen Lewis

Teach HS computer science using P5
Invent and develop hardware and software products for coding, physical computing, science experiments, invention, maker spaces, ...
Look forward to working with the group
Would love to help push out a K-12 framework for P5: curriculum, Blockly interface, videos, examples, teacher guides

Tracy Rudzitis

Oct 26, 2016, 8:23:20 PM10/26/16
to processing...@googlegroups.com
I teach at a public middle school in NYC (MS 245).
I am passionate about providing creative opportunities for expression to my students who typically have not experienced that in their classrooms. I open my lab every day at lunch for a Makerspace where students build physical projects, program using a variety of languages, including p5 and Processing, and connect code to the physical world through a variety of means.

I have a group of students that I plan on working with in p5. They are already javascript, html5 and Unity enthusiasts, and are excited.

Important to connect to other educators and learners...

James Kurleto

Mar 2, 2017, 3:23:53 PM3/2/17
to Processing Educators
Hi,

Excited to find this group.
1) I teach at an independent school (Cranbrook) outside Detroit, MI. My audience is PK-5. I am integrating a computational thinking curriculum in the Innovation/Technology classes I teach, as well as an afterschool coding club.

2) I use Processing/p5.js for personal projects, but am looking to see how it may be used for our 4th-5th gradesr.. I did collaborate on a project for high schoolers where students recorded their sleep patterns with Arduinos/accelerometers and then represented the data creatively with Processing.

3)  I too am interested in trying to get Blockly to work with p5. I'd also like to further introduce the idea of creative coding to our student body with these and other tools. I'm very interested in reading all the many uses others have found over the years.

James