STEMcoding YouTube channel (p5.js activities)

or...@physics.osu.edu

Jun 13, 2018, 6:44:41 PM6/13/18
to Processing Educators
Hi fellow educators,

I am a physics professor at Ohio State and I lead an effort called the STEMcoding project which involves creating p5.js coding videos that often discuss the physics of video games like asteroids or angry birds.

Last year we released an hour of code activity (http://go.osu.edu/hourofcode http://go.osu.edu/movetheblob ) on the physics of video games. I believe this is currently the only p5.js based activity on hourofcode.com.

Following that we started releasing coding tutorial videos on the STEMcoding YouTube channel (http://go.osu.edu/STEMtube ). We feature a high percentage of underrepresented groups in STEM on our YouTube channel in order to reflect the reality that all kinds of people pursue STEM careers.

I imagine there are people out there reading this who may be a little disappointed that we didn't choose to name ourselves STEAMcoding. We are planning to record some videos on how to add hand drawn art to our coding activities. I am also a member of the STEAM factory at OSU. Please don't read too much into the lack of an A in our title.

Please share our resources with teachers in your area and let me know if you would be interested to collaborate in making more videos. In a lot of ways we are a simplified, high-school level version of the coding train. Anyone working towards similar goals would be welcome to join us.

My email is or...@physics.osu.edu if you decide to contact me. We also post regularly to Twitter (@STEMcoding)

Best
Chris

ybakos

Jun 27, 2018, 7:13:41 PM6/27/18
to Processing Educators
Chris, this is fantastic. Please share that sentiment with the students.

I would love to hear more about your studio setup for recording the videos. Shiffman had shared his v1 and v2 studios, but I'm curious about yours.

Regards,
yong

---
Yong Joseph Bakos