Game of Life in Processing - Python mode

36 lượt xem
Chuyển tới thư đầu tiên chưa đọc

Peter Farrell

chưa đọc,
19:05:07 16 thg 1, 201716/1/17
đến Processing Educators
Hi, Group,

I've been working on a Game of Life program in Processing (Python mode) for a while (notice it's still named "#3") and finally gave up and slavishly copied Shiffman's Java version line by line over to Python. It works.

I could write a step by step tutorial. Cellular Automata are an exciting avenue for exploration into patterns using programming. I highly recommend Wolfram's A New Kind of Science. Had a much easier time with Wolfram's 2D Automata and extended them to 3D using Minecraft. The Pyramid looks like a 3D version of Sierpinski's Triangle.

Let me know what you think!

Peter Farrell
California
Game_of_Life_3.pyde

Mark Sawula

chưa đọc,
19:27:08 16 thg 1, 201716/1/17
đến processing...@googlegroups.com
What a coincidence!  I'm taking my intro class through "Life" now, but with Turtles in a Jupyter notebook.  I'm doing it first really inefficiently with a dictionary of cell objects.  Then thinking of showing them how to do it more efficiently if they're not sick of it by then.  Mine needed more practice w objects at this point
<Game_of_Life_3.pyde>

Peter Farrell

chưa đọc,
20:45:25 16 thg 1, 201716/1/17
đến Processing Educators
Hi, Mark,

That's always a hard choice: you want them to get some taste of doing it the hard way, and then the new tool you teach them will come as a relief. But if you linger too long in Drudgeryville you might lose 'em.

I read the "Programmer's Motto" somewhere: "We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they were going to be easy."

Peter

On Jan 16, 2017, at 7:05 PM, Peter Farrell <peterfa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, Group,

I've been working on a Game of Life program in Processing (Python mode) for a while (notice it's still named "#3") and finally gave up and slavishly copied Shiffman's Java version line by line over to Python. It works.

I could write a step by step tutorial. Cellular Automata are an exciting avenue for exploration into patterns using programming. I highly recommend Wolfram's A New Kind of Science. Had a much easier time with Wolfram's 2D Automata and extended them to 3D using Minecraft. The Pyramid looks like a 3D version of Sierpinski's Triangle.

Let me know what you think!

Peter Farrell
California

<Game_of_Life_3.pyde>