[process.theinfo] (conversion) 2.3 MB of bookmarks

Bryan Bishop

Jan 21, 2008, 4:49:32 PM1/21/08
to process...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

A few months ago I had a working Opera ADR -> XBEL -> HTML conversion
script running with python. I must have stopped adding a hack midway
because I have zero documentation and it's broken at the moment, but I
thought I'd submit it to the list anyway.

Here are the files and you will find the scripts in the subdirectory
(most work was on the xbel related python scripts, as well as adr_*
scripts).

http://heybryan.org/bookmarks/

Example output from a few months ago:
http://heybryan.org/bookmarks/bookmarks-old2/

Also, if anybody has any ideas for quickly managing 2.3 MB datasets in
parallel with current browsers (Opera, Firefox, etc.), that would be
very helpful.

- Bryan
Bryan Bishop
http://heybryan.org/

Gabriel Sean Farrell

Jan 28, 2008, 4:51:06 PM1/28/08
On Jan 21, 2008 4:49 PM, Bryan Bishop <kan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, if anybody has any ideas for quickly managing 2.3 MB datasets in
> parallel with current browsers (Opera, Firefox, etc.), that would be
> very helpful.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "in parallel", but Firefox has
had mozStorage, based on SQLite, built-in since 2.0. See
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Storage.

BerlinBrown

Jan 28, 2008, 5:20:01 PM1/28/08
to process.theinfo

On Jan 28, 4:51 pm, "Gabriel Sean Farrell" <gsf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2008 4:49 PM, Bryan Bishop <kanz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Also, if anybody has any ideas for quickly managing 2.3 MB datasets in
> > parallel with current browsers (Opera, Firefox, etc.), that would be
> > very helpful.
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "in parallel", but Firefox has
> had mozStorage, based on SQLite, built-in since 2.0. Seehttp://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Storage.

Hey, that is pretty, do you mind if I used that set as part of some
web crawls I am doing.

Bryan Bishop

Jan 28, 2008, 10:01:34 PM1/28/08
On Monday 28 January 2008, Gabriel Sean Farrell wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "in parallel", but Firefox has
> had mozStorage, based on SQLite, built-in since 2.0.  See
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Storage.

Well, it fails -- seriously. 1 GB RAM on a P4 w/ HT. Firefox 1.5, 2.0
and that 3.0 beta have been tested. Debian kernel, latest stable.
Especially loading up the bookmarks into the menuing systems and so on.
(And Firefox doesn't like browsing with >300 tabs ;))

Lukasz Szybalski

Feb 19, 2008, 11:23:19 PM2/19/08
to process.theinfo

On Jan 21, 3:49 pm, Bryan Bishop <kanz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A few months ago I had a working Opera ADR -> XBEL -> HTML conversion
> script running with python. I must have stopped adding a hack midway
> because I have zero documentation and it's broken at the moment, but I
> thought I'd submit it to the list anyway.
>
> Here are the files and you will find the scripts in the subdirectory
> (most work was on the xbel related python scripts, as well as adr_*
> scripts).
>
> http://heybryan.org/bookmarks/
>
> Example output from a few months ago:http://heybryan.org/bookmarks/bookmarks-old2/
>
> Also, if anybody has any ideas for quickly managing 2.3 MB datasets in
> parallel with current browsers (Opera, Firefox, etc.), that would be
> very helpful.

I wonder if sitebar could manage your bookmarks. It uses mysql as its
database. ( i use it but I don't have 2.3mb of files yet)
http://sitebar.org/

You can easly install it on your server.
apt-get install sitebar

Not sure if that helps.

Lucas

Bryan Bishop

Mar 14, 2008, 1:48:46 PM3/14/08
On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> I wonder if sitebar could manage your bookmarks. It uses mysql as its
> database. ( i use it but I don't have 2.3mb of files yet)
> http://sitebar.org/
>
> You can easly install it on your server.
> apt-get install sitebar

Lucas, that definitely has potential. I was excited until I took the
screenshot tour and realized that it adds extra overhead when you want
to bookmark a new link. That's definitely not good. Ideally, adding a
link should be a single keypress. Maybe I'll go hack out some ideas for
a Firefox extension.

Lukasz Szybalski

Mar 15, 2008, 1:30:00 PM3/15/08
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Bryan Bishop <kan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> > I wonder if sitebar could manage your bookmarks. It uses mysql as its
> > database. ( i use it but I don't have 2.3mb of files yet)
> > http://sitebar.org/
> >
> > You can easly install it on your server.
> > apt-get install sitebar
>
> Lucas, that definitely has potential. I was excited until I took the
> screenshot tour and realized that it adds extra overhead when you want
> to bookmark a new link. That's definitely not good. Ideally, adding a
> link should be a single keypress. Maybe I'll go hack out some ideas for
> a Firefox extension.

They do have firefox extention.
http://sitebar.org/gs_integrator_ff.php

You right click on a page and you click on "add to sitebar". Then you
just pick folder to save it too.

Lucas

--
Automotive Recall Database. Cars, Trucks, etc.
http://www.lucasmanual.com/recall/