OKCon 2008: London School of Economics, 15th March 2008

Jonathan Gray

Feb 28, 2008, 7:08:00 AM2/28/08
to process...@googlegroups.com
# OKCon 2008 - 'Applications and Services'
# London School of Economics
# 15th March 2008
# home: <http://www.okfn.org/okcon/>
# wiki: <http://www.okfn.org/wiki/okcon2008/>

In the past few years we've witnessed the rise of web-based services -
from social networking sites to online spreadsheet packages. While we
have definitions for open software and open knowledge, what is an open
service? What kinds of new services can be built using open knowledge?

We've seen the growth of successful open knowledge projects - from peer
reviewed journals to community edited encyclopaedias - but what impact
can open licensing have in education, research and commerce? Does open
licensing have benefits for researchers? Is sharing the key to scaling?
What kinds of business models are available to open knowledge
distributors? How is open knowledge applied in different institutional
and professional contexts?

There now exists a vast amount of open content and data. What tools are
avaiable to analyse and represent this wealth of material? How can we
sort, search, store it to increase its availability and visibility?

The second Open Knowledge conference will bring together individuals and
groups from across the open knowledge spectrum for a day of seminars and
workshops around the theme of 'Applications and Services'. Three main
sessions will focus on 'Transport and Environment', 'Visualization and
Analysis' and 'Education'.

We are currently welcoming submissions and suggestions. If you are
interested in giving a paper, facilitating or otherwise helping out,
please contact info [at] okfn [dot] org. We also encourage early
registration as space is limited!