ICIDS 2021 CFP

Michael Mateas

Apr 5, 2021, 4:30:36 PM4/5/21
to procedur...@googlegroups.com

The International Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling (ICIDS) 2021 call for papers is now available. ICIDS is the premier conference for researchers and practitioners concerned with studying digital interactive forms of narrative from a variety of perspectives, including theoretical, technological, and applied design lenses. The annual conference is an interdisciplinary gathering that combines technology-focused approaches with humanities-inspired theoretical inquiry, empirical research and artistic expression. For the PCG crowd, we welcome submissions on character, quest and story generation.

ICIDS 2021 will be held from 9-12 November 2021, in Santa Cruz, California, USA.

Paper and poster/demo submissions are invited into one of four main conference areas. Please note that the topics listed for each area are suggestions, and we invite authors to interpret them broadly, and to consider similar topics that are not listed:

  1. Narrative Systems: covering technological research from narrative AI to authoring tools.

  2. Interactive Narrative Theory: exploring narratological models and literary approaches.

  3. Interactive Narrative Impact and Applications: describing the impact of interactive narrative of society and novel applications.

  4. The Interactive Narrative Research Discipline and Contemporary Practice: presenting new philosophies and methodologies.

Submission categories:

  • Full papers (9-12 pages, excluding references, in the proceedings) describing interesting, novel results or completed work in all topics of this call.

  • Short papers (6-8 pages, excluding references, in the proceedings) presenting exciting preliminary work or novel, thought-provoking ideas in their early stages.

  • Posters and demos (4 pages, excluding references, in the proceedings) describing working, presentable systems or brief explanations of a research project.

The theme for the conference this year is Interconnectedness and Social Impact. We encourage authors to consider possible connections to this theme in their papers, but we emphasize that there is no requirement that papers reflect the theme, either implicitly or explicitly. The theme is meant as inspiration, and is not intended to act as a constraint.

Key dates:

June 25th - Submission deadline (full, short, poster/demo)

August 27th - Notifications to authors

September 10th - Camera ready paper due

Submission instructions and more details here:

https://ardin.online/conferences/icids-interactive-storytelling/icids-2021-santa-cruz/icids-2021-calls/