Test coordination

Jesse Markowitz

Jul 19, 2012, 10:37:41 AM7/19/12
to privl...@googlegroups.com

I am helping to coordinate the Privly testing, so please feel free to reach out to me directly or via this group.  Questions on how to test, what to test, etc. are all fair game.  We appreciate any testing that you'd like to do - just please let us know the results on this list and post any bugs to the privly team.

We are in pre-alpha at this point, so you should assume that all postings can be read (no privacy / encryption yet), and that they might be temporary or permanent (posts may be deleted at any time, or could be archived for any length of time, and possibly even picked up by search engines and be searchable).

Feel free to just try Privly out and then report any bugs / questions / enhancement requests via the link above.  If you'd like to be a bit more direction in your testing, there are a couple of documents you can look at for guidance.

1. Privly Test Matrix: This is a Google Docs spreadsheet that shows some of the common environments (OS/Browser/Privly Version) and some of the common web locations that should be tested.  I've started my testing (Win7/Firefox/Privly0.1.8 on Facebook statuses) and entered that in the corresponding cell.  The document is shared so everyone can view it.  If you'd like to update it and add in what you are testing (one of the cases I list here, or another one that is important to you), just let me know and I'll share edit privliege with you and you can add your info in too.

2. Sample URL Formats and conditions list: There are several different files here that contain a sample of URL formats and conditions that each browser extension needs to handle correctly before it should be released.  These can be some great examples to help you in creating / picking test cases you want to test.

If you have any suggestions for testing, testing approaches, etc. please post them here.  We welcome your involvement at all levels.

Jesse

Jen Davidson

Jul 19, 2012, 8:45:49 PM7/19/12
to privl...@googlegroups.com
And just in case you testers need more information on how to get started using Privly, see this post on our community site:  http://www.privly.org/content/give-privly-try

--Jen

Matt Burns

Aug 2, 2012, 1:50:22 AM8/2/12
to privl...@googlegroups.com
So how do we login for testing?  I clicked the "Sign Up" button on the "Give Privly a Try" page and created an account, but apparently this is not what we need for testing since this account info doesn't work for the Firefox extension or the main Privly page.  And that link is the first place I've seen that allows me to create an account.  I've been looking for some information on getting or setting up a Privly account since long before I got the letter that came with my t-shirt and other backer rewards.  I've seen a few places that say if you're a backer to message Privly to get an account, but there's nothing indicating what sort of message or where to send it.  Facebook?  Twitter?  Google+?  IRC?  I used the "request an invitation" link ages ago and also sent Sean an email asking about an account, and haven't heard back from either.

I have to say it's been pretty frustrating.  I hope I'm just missing something obvious and there aren't other backers who want to start testing but are having as much trouble figuring out exactly how we're supposed to do it.

Sean McGregor

Aug 2, 2012, 2:35:11 AM8/2/12
to privl...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

At this point we are not testing any functionality associated with the
content server since the server's encrypted content management will be
changing too rapidly over the next month. I'm sorry for the confusion,
but I am going to consider your email your first bug report! My
apologies to Jesse and Jen (and everyone else) for pushing out so much
at the last minute. Docs are unfortunately going to be a step behind
development at times. If it ever presents a problem, please report it
as a bug. I just updated the "Give Privly a Try" page and the header
to the testing mailing list.

This video shows how you can test out the current functionality:
https://vimeo.com/46737325 The video was posted before you joined the
testing list.

If you still want an account (or anyone else involved with testing),
you can email me directly at pri...@privly.org. Testers can have
access to anything they request access to that won't cost $$$ in
hosting, just keep in mind that we will be breaking and rebuilding a
lot of that functionality in the coming month.

Thanks,
Sean

Matt Burns

Aug 2, 2012, 4:45:40 AM8/2/12
to privl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the quick response, Sean!

If there's no reason to be testing the content server, then naturally there's no reason to have accounts now.  But several places, including the note at the bottom of the "Give Privly a Try" page, seem to indicate otherwise.  (E.g. "If you want to use your own text to create a new public Priv.ly link, you need a Priv.ly account.")  You might want to consider making it a bit more clear that we're not currently testing the content server, so other people won't get the wrong idea like I did.  As I said, it was kind of frustrating thinking that I needed or was supposed to have an account, and not being able to figure out where to get it.

It probably wouldn't have bothered me so much if I weren't so eager to start testing since I had too much going on this summer to contribute to development like I'd hoped!

Sean McGregor

Aug 5, 2012, 12:46:06 AM8/5/12
to privl...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

Testing is contributing to development! Thanks for submitting bugs.

-Sean
> --

Sean McGregor

Graduate Research Assistant in Machine Learning
Oregon State University, Department of Computer Science
Twitter: seanmcgregor
Facebook: facebook.com/SeanBMcGregor