IoT Gateway and sensor settings

Giuseppe Marullo

Sep 7, 2022, 10:42:30 AM9/7/22
to privat...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
some years ago I bought 3 IoO gateways (2 x 24 pin for PI3 and 1 for a PC) and finally I would like to use them.
Now, I put one IoT gateway on a PI3 and it is working with a sensor, however...which are the settings?

Is there a way to check the ID, frequency, channel and so on for each base an thus for the sensors' settings?
I only see messages on the /dev/serial from the sensor(and its address), but the IoT base does not respond with 01 HELLO messge.
I know I could reset each base but I guess I would loose connectivity with sensors (they came pre-configured).

At the moment I have a couple of sensors, tested one and it works but I would like to play with multibase. encryption and so on without connecting the sensors to serial etc.
TIA

Giuseppe Marullo

xard...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2022, 9:26:32 PM9/8/22
to PrivateEyePi
I created a small utility to check for the gateway in Lazarus , and apparently works:
Serial port opened.
a01HELLO
Data received:a01HELLO----
a02HELLO
a03HELLO
a04HELLO

Still the utility does not find the gateway:
root@raspberrypi:~/rf_tools $ python rf_config.py 01 HELLO
SENT     : 01HELLO
NO REPLY

Any clue?
TIA

Giuseppe Marullo

Glenn Seaton

Sep 8, 2022, 10:29:39 PM9/8/22
to PrivateEyePi
TIA,
I link your test idea, may write one like it.
The only thing I can think of, is the serial port you use and the serial port rf_config.py is trying to use are not the same.
Look in rflib.py line 46 for port = '/dev/serial0'   is that the port you use?

Glenn

Glenn Seaton

Sep 8, 2022, 10:29:42 PM9/8/22
to PrivateEyePi
TIA,
All the configuration commands and the default common settings are documented at https://jemrf.github.io/RF-Documentation/configuration_overview.html
The Products tab will show each sensor and the settings for that sensor.
They should no be needing to be reprogrammed unless you want to customize for your special project.
The IoT base for the RPI are programmed as address 01. Which your test shows. I bought the business last year and there is no documentation for a  PC IoT gateway so I can not help with that.
The setting format has to be followed.
If you accidentally set the device Id to have a single digit, at this time would require a reload.  The programming tools will not recognize a blank as part of the name.
The setting format has to be followed, be careful.
I will look at trying to add the feature to display the settings.

Glenn

Gadjet Nut

Sep 9, 2022, 10:41:29 AM9/9/22
to Glenn Seaton, PrivateEyePi
Only one application can open the serial port at a time. Make sure Lazarus is not holding the port open.

On Sep 8, 2022, at 10:29 PM, Glenn Seaton <glenn....@seltron.com> wrote:

TIA,

Ferruccio Guicciardi

Sep 9, 2022, 10:41:41 AM9/9/22
to Glenn Seaton, PrivateEyePi
In my case I changed the cycle interval of device 63 from 5 minutes to 1 minute with the following command:
python rf_config.py 63 INTVL001
the sensor will echo back the command (ie: a63INVTL001), but when I used with the serial_mon.py the sensor is still reporting every 5 minutes.

xard...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2022, 10:41:53 AM9/9/22
to PrivateEyePi
Wow,

>the serial port you use and the serial port rf_config.py is trying to use are not the same.
in fact I am using /dev/serial... this should be the "problem". I will test this evening.

>I link your test idea, may write one like it.
If I could put together any further command to explore the current settings, I will gladly write a small graphical utility, possibly multiplatform (windows and linux, I don't use Apple stuff), GPL licensed of course. Currently "developing" on a PI3 with a 24pin IoT gateway, I am not using the pc IoT gateway yet. The utility could be recompiled for windows easily, then only change to be done is to handle OS specific stuff, like serial handling. It is a nice environment(Lazarus).

>They should no be needing to be reprogrammed unless you want to customize for your special project.
I know but when I ordered the stuff, I explained what I wanted to do, so the previous owner set the items for EU market and possibly gave the IoT gateways 3 different address and preprogrammed the sensors. My original idea was to play with a PI HA cluster, I like the idea that the sensors could report to two different IoT gateways, and you could logically aggregate two sensors (long story, flood sensor that should work no matter what).

 I only have two sensors ant the moment, and the one tested worked out of the box with the first gateway I picked up.
Not knowing the current settings, how am I supposed to add other sensors without resetting the whole current set of items?
Asking to sensors their setting would allow me to add easily other sensors.

Could you kindly confirm which are the default settings for the sensors in term of channel, PANid(23205), frequency (3 for EU), channel (1)?
It would be wonderful if you could provide commands to ask about the configuration, at least of the IoT Gateway.

Of course, without the correct settings in the IoT you won't reach the sensors anyway, but it could be nice to know the IoT settings.

Hope it is clearer now.

TIA (Thanks in Advance :)

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ