Door/window switches

Nigel S

Mar 2, 2024, 7:20:30 PMMar 2
to PrivateEyePi
In case it helps anyone, I've gone through some experiments with door switches.

You can buy the "Normally Closed" switches from JemRF which means the door or window should be normally closed.

These  have magnetic switches that switch BUTTONA on the pcb to open circuit while the door is closed.  This minimizes any leakage current while the door is normally closed.  Only when it opens and the magnet separates is the BUTTONA circuit closed.  This maximizes the battery life.

Important: The terms used in "Rules" on the PEP server do not refer to the door state, they refer to the BUTTONA circuit state.  So if you set up a rule to detect a 'sensor closed' that means the 'door is open' and vice versa.

The PEP server is set up to show a 'red light' beside the sensor when the circuit is open, so it is red when the door is closed and green when open.

If you find this counter intuitive you'll need to buy the "Normally Open" switches and live with a slightly shorter battery life.  But I'm guessing the input impedance of the BUTTONA circuit is pretty high.

Hope that helps!