IoT Gateway issue

Ridwan Alrefai

Jul 17, 2023, 11:29:07 PM7/17/23
to PrivateEyePi
Hello!

I was trying to setup and connect the IoT Gateway to my raspberry pi 4B and followed the instructions in the documentation for setting up serial ports etc. similar to many posts on this forum, when sending a message HELLO, I do not get a message back. I’ve tried the serial monitor and that worked, and I also made a loop back test to verify my serial pins and all worked fine. I decided to buy another Gateway to see if the first was defected, however when I got it it also has the same issue. Any tips/help is very much appreciated! Thank you so much!

Ed Mersich

Jul 18, 2023, 10:18:08 AM7/18/23
to Ridwan Alrefai, PrivateEyePi
I have the same issue.  I thought the transmitter section of the IOT Gateway failed; but that is not the case.  The gateway is fine. It appears the Python configurator is bad.  I think it stopped working as a result of a Python update to the RP at some point.   I send the configuration updates to the sensors in the blind, and they all work fine.
I just don't have the time to deal with it.  As you mention the serial monitor works fine.

Ed

On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 9:29 PM Ridwan Alrefai <mal...@uic.edu> wrote:
Hello!

I was trying to setup and connect the IoT Gateway to my raspberry pi 4B and followed the instructions in the documentation for setting up serial ports etc. similar to many posts on this forum, when sending a message HELLO, I do not get a message back. I’ve tried the serial monitor and that worked, and I also made a loop back test to verify my serial pins and all worked fine. I decided to buy another Gateway to see if the first was defected, however when I got it it also has the same issue. Any tips/help is very much appreciated! Thank you so much!

Glenn Seaton

Jul 20, 2023, 12:20:29 AM7/20/23
to PrivateEyePi
I found an issue with rflib.py that affects the reply message to the serial_mon.py to process the HELLO.  It would process all other messages, OK.
This also fixes the same issue with rf_config.py not getting the reply message.
To verify you have the correct version:
Line 4 reads:   #Revised 7/19/2023

You can also run:  git clone https://github.com/JemRF/rf_tools.git  and pull the update from the repository.

Glenn