Access problems since server upgrade

Chris B

Jan 25, 2022, 9:35:23 AM1/25/22
to PrivateEyePi
I have two temperature monitoring systems which have been running steadily for several years, using DS18B20 sensors

I have been accessing the dashboard with username and password embedded in a bookmark for web browser URL

as in

Now I cannot access the dashboard of either of them using this method.
If I enter the email and password long hand at
I can access the dashboard for both units.  One unit is running correctly, the other has not been updated since 11:41pm (UTC) on 23 January.

If I access this machine directly and try to run dallas.py the following error is returned.

An exception of type URLError occurred. Arguments:
(SSLError(1, u'[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:581)'),)
<urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:581)>

Any help with either/both of these issues would be appreciated.

Regards Chris B

Glenn Seaton

Jan 25, 2022, 1:11:39 PM1/25/22
to PrivateEyePi
Chris,
The web login appears to be legacy software issue that is failing with newer server tools, specifically the security upgrade from PHP 5 to PHP 7.
We are working to see how to migrate this feature.

I am not sure why the SSL errors,  are they still occurring?
There might have been some cache storing the old cert maybe.
I will have to do more testing.

Glenn

Glenn Seaton

Jan 25, 2022, 5:04:06 PM1/25/22
to PrivateEyePi
Chris,
I used the rfsensor.py app to send messages to the server and that worked.
Since both applications use the same send functions.
I tested both
and

If you are still having problems, What URL are you using?

Chris B

Jan 26, 2022, 9:07:37 AM1/26/22
to PrivateEyePi
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your comments and pointers.   I take your comments on direct login via the URL but I'm afraid I am still getting my SSL error (I have rebooted the pi in the hope that it would clear any cache issues) and don't understand your second comment (you will have to regard me as a programming numptie here)

"If you are still having problems, What URL are you using?"

I run the programme by going to the install directory and typing "dallas.py".  The only scripts I have ever customized are dallas.py and globals.py but I have examined both of these and cannot see any URL in either any of them.

Looking in alarmfunctionsr.py (V13.00) I see (lines 79 onward)
================================
def UpdateHost(function,opcode):
  try:
    if globals.token=="":
        return

    # Sends data to the server
    script_path = "https://www.privateeyepi.com/alarmhostr.php?token="+globals.token+"&function="+str(function)
=====================================

and later on (Lines 300 onwards)
=====================
 # Request data and receive reply (request/reply) from the server

  if globals.token=="":
    return

  script_path = "https://www.privateeyepi.com/alarmhostr.php?token="+globals.token+"&function="+str(function)

  i=0
=======================================
Where else should I be looking?

If it matters the versions are Dallas.py (V14.00) and globals.py (V12.00)

Thanks.

John Cable

Jan 26, 2022, 9:26:14 AM1/26/22
to PrivateEyePi
I am also having the same problem.

https://www.privateeyepi.com/index.php?email=your_...@address.com&password=your_password ... no longer works.

Also on the dashboard page, it no longer gives you the information in text, just an image with the temperature as part of the image. I parsed the dashboard html page to give me the information I needed. Now it can't be done.

Glenn Seaton

Jan 26, 2022, 11:57:48 AM1/26/22
to PrivateEyePi
All the applications that send data to the server like dallas.py, rfsensors.py, dht22.py, etc. all use the same alarmfunctionsr.py UpdateHost function.
The problem is not the applications, it is the operating system version.

If your RPI has not been updated in a few years.
The chain of servers that validate an SSL is regularly updated.
Keeping the OS Updated gets the current list and will work.

I tested RPI release jessie and it failed. I tried to update the OS but the update failed, the OS is not supported.
I tested RPI release stretch and it failed.  I did an OS update and now it works.
The system I did my original testing on is the newer buster.

The link to the various versions is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi_OS

To find out your version enter
lsb_release -a
you will get a response like:
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Raspbian
Release:        9.13
Codename:       stretch

To update and upgrade the OS, open a shell window or at the console enter the commands:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade -y

then reboot and the ssl error should be gone.

A console command to test is
wget "https://www.privateeyepi.com/alarmhostr.php?token=none"

The Good Responce is:
--2022-01-26 16:51:01--  https://www.privateeyepi.com/alarmhostr.php?token=none
Resolving www.privateeyepi.com (www.privateeyepi.com)... 209.182.236.53
Connecting to www.privateeyepi.com (www.privateeyepi.com)|209.182.236.53|:443... connected.
Length: unspecified [text/html]
Saving to: ‘alarmhostr.php?token=none’

alarmhostr.php?token=none                       [ <=>                                                                                       ]       6  --.-KB/s    in 0s

2022-01-26 16:51:02 (996 KB/s) - ‘alarmhostr.php?token=none’ saved [6]

Glenn

Chris B

Jan 26, 2022, 4:18:52 PM1/26/22
to PrivateEyePi
OK thanks for the help.  Machine is currently running jessie.

 I will look to upgrade the OS (there are a couple of pages on the internet with instructions) and if this fails start again with  the latest OS.

Regards Chris

Chris B

Jan 27, 2022, 10:05:48 AM1/27/22
to PrivateEyePi
For anyone playing along at home

 I used this reference

to upgrade from jessie to stretch
and then followed the link in that page to update from stretch to buster.
All by VNC remote access to the unit which is 20 miles away.

And now it all works and I can log in to the dashboard and see the results.
Happy chappie.

I would never have got there without the pointers.

Thanks for the help.

Glenn Seaton

Jan 28, 2022, 10:14:39 PM1/28/22
to PrivateEyePi

We have an alternate monitoring system at Elno.io. It has a text table page with live status updates for all your sensors. Elno.io offers an upgraded alternative to the original plain text interface control panel.

With Elno.io, you will find support for the JemRF.com product line, plus monitoring of Temperature/Humidity/Pressure etc. However, Elno.io does not support the alarm features of privateeyepi.com. The free version does provides email notifications from the Elno.io server for up to 5 sensors.

If interested, go to Elno.io and register.  You will get a notification when the account is created and instructions on how to redirect your sensor data from privateeyepi.com to elno.io.

Glenn

Glenn Seaton

Feb 2, 2022, 12:27:26 AM2/2/22
to PrivateEyePi
I found an old app that was simple to finish changes to work on the new system that will list all your sensors and their text values with a url login.
This should replace the information that was provided by the old control panel.
The request is:
If login fails you will get a Failed message.
Successful login will show something like:

PrivateEyePi

Dashboard
Status   Sensor Status                              Status
               WIFI 11945065 Temperature    76.82F
               WIFI 11945065 Temperature    32.30%
               WIFI 211107 Temperature        77.79F