GPS NMEA messages and the Flex RF Module

roboticsmick

Mar 6, 2021, 5:47:48 AM3/6/21
to PrivateEyePi

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it's possible to send NMEA messages using the Flex RF Module?

I have a Flex RF Module attached to a Teensy 4.1 with a GPS module, and was wondering if I could send GPS NMEA messages from the Teensy to a IoT Gateway on the Raspberry Pi to log the data?

Any advice on if this is viable would be appreciated. If anyone knew of any tutorials, or could point me in the right direction that'd be awesome too!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers

Mick

Gadjet Nut

Mar 6, 2021, 8:37:32 AM3/6/21
to roboticsmick, PrivateEyePi
Yes it can. It’s just a matter of breaking the NMEA data into smaller 12 character messages:

E.g:

$GPGGA,123519,4807.038,N,01131.000,E,1,08,0.9,545.4,M,46.9,M,,*47

gets transmitted as follows:

a03$GPRMC,12
a033519,A,48
a0307.038,N,
a0301131.000
a03,E,022.4,
a03084.4,230
a03394,003.1
a03,W*6A----

Where:

 a   Packet start character
03the device ID of the radio module
[9 chars] The raw NMEA sentence broken down into 9 chars

Sent from my iPhone

roboticsmick

Mar 7, 2021, 11:48:50 PM3/7/21
to PrivateEyePi

Thanks for the response. That makes sense. I'll give it a shot!

Kind regards,
Mick

Gadjet Nut

Mar 10, 2021, 7:43:49 PM3/10/21
to PrivateEyePi
The Teensy boards are really great for integrating multiple serial port devices (like the Flex Module and a GPS module) but make sure you have a Tennsy that supports multiple serial ports (Teensy LX, 3 or 4):