wrong alarms due to flapping GPIOs

Robert Eberle

Jun 17, 2021, 2:50:08 AM6/17/21
to PrivateEyePi
I'm really excited about my new RPI alarm project and it works basically fine.
But on some GPIO I get randomly alarms, even there is not really an alarm.
I guess it is due to interfearance signals on the GPIO cabling, even if it is kept very short and even with the installed pulled down resistor!
The one idea would be to install a optocoupler, but then I've found the rule description an interessting part "Sensor is closed for x minutes". This would be my solution I guess, because the interfearance signals are just in milliseconds of time and with this rule I could avoid getting wrong alarms. But unfortunately this rule is not present as a choice in my rules menue - any idea?
By the way - is it possible to define my own email text message?
Thanks for your support.
Regards,
Robert

Gadjet Nut

Jun 20, 2021, 1:01:44 PM6/20/21
to Robert Eberle, PrivateEyePi
  Best solution would be to fix your wiring problem that's causing the flapping GPIO. Check you have good connections. Some alarm switches (reed sensors) are somewhat noisy but this is best solved using a timer that only triggers if the sensor has a consistent value for more than x milliseconds.  I wouldn't recommend the use of the rule on the server side as a solution, best to fix it on the sensor side. Regarding email yes you can configure the  messaging to anything you want in alarmhostr.py

Robert Eberle

Jun 22, 2021, 3:52:01 AM6/22/21
to PrivateEyePi
I did change the wireing on the sensor side and could solve the issue.
Instead of using a pulldown resistor, I've changed it to a pullup and the sensor contacts are now connected to the GND - this helps to get rid of the interfearance signals - all is working fine now.
Thanks a lot and regards
Robert