Price on carbon

Dan La Vigne

Apr 28, 2022, 2:53:21 AM4/28/22
to NEMP
What do you think is going on here?
A rather unexpected turn of events.  Or, do they have something up their sleeve?
Talk is cheap.  Will they put some oomph behind this stance?
Thoughts?
I am not sure what is happening here but if it gets a price on carbon and corresponding dividends to citizens I am all for it.  It seems to me to be one of the most workable tools to begin working on the Climate Emergency.  We should have instituted this more than a decade ago!
dL

American Petroleum Institute proposes a carbon price

News broke last week that the American Petroleum Institute (API), the country’s largest trade association for the oil and gas industry, has drafted a proposal urging Congress to adopt a carbon fee with rebates to Americans. They propose using the revenue for rebates to households and investments in new technology, and they call for border tariffs to keep U.S. businesses competitive.
If this policy sounds familiar, it should: it’s similar to the policy that we at Citizens’ Climate Lobby have supported for years.
In a new video today, CCL’s Vice President of Governmental Affairs Danny Richter shares that API isn’t the only group speaking up about carbon pricing lately: the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget also released a report weighing the benefits of a carbon price. Additionally, the Electric Power Supply Association, which is effectively a natural gas association, also endorsed a carbon price.
Danny explains that this support comes from unexpected messengers, or organizations that don’t typically work within the climate space. “This is significant because research indicates that it is unexpected voices, such as these, that lead to politicians elevating a policy issue above other priorities and scheduling it for scarce floor time,” Danny says.
In today’s video, Danny also gives an update about the budget reconciliation process, where we hope to see major climate policy emerge.
Danny Richter
CCL Vice President of
Government Affairs.
WATCH DANNY'S VIDEO