Fwd: “Homo Ecophagus,” means the man who devours the ecosystem

Dan La Vigne

Jan 8, 2023, 2:35:17 AM1/8/23

We have been recently renamed.   And it is an apt and descriptive name, but it ain’t a good name.
If you understand the concept you can almost fill in the details yourself if you ruminate on it for a bit.
Or you can listen to the two old guys talk about it.  You will hear some repetition, as old guys are prone to do. (As I ought to know.)
And/Or you can read my brief response below.

dL

Begin forwarded message:
From: Dan La Vigne <Dan...@gmail.com>
Subject: Fwd: “Homo Ecophagus,” means the man who devours the ecosystem
To: Lee Salisbury

Hi Lee,

An interesting idea and a great way to describe what is happening on this planet.  And there is no planet B!  This is it folks!
I am unfortunately feeling more and more pessimistic as time passes.  I don’t think we have solutions for all of the physical problems we face, but we do have current technology that can solve a number of serious problems.  If we would start a massive program to put all of that in operation it would buy us some much needed time to work on the more difficult solutions.  Our current problem is not technological.  It is political and economic — two sides of the same coin.  I have no idea how to plow our way through that morass.
I hate to think that our species is doomed.  This cancer has to cure itself.  We must think!!  We must stop unrestrained consumption and the relentless disposal of garbage into the ecosystem.  It is as simple as that and it is as hard as that.

dL

Begin forwarded message:
From: Lee Salisbury
Date: January 7, 2023 at 9:50:16 PM CST
To: David Trauger , Dan La Vigne , Ron Johansson

 "It is a stark diagnosis, and the prognosis is not good. Cancers don’t stop being cancers. And so the cancer continues until the host organism has ceased to function, it has died. In our case, the host organism is the biosphere and we have been attacking it throughout our entire existence as a species most of the time in the last, particularly in the last 10,000 years. So the title of the book, “Homo Ecophagus,” means the man who devours the ecosystem and so our scientific name as a species is Homo sapiens. Sapiens, so a wise, wise man. And that makes us the most misnamed species on the planet. We are not wise, we’re destroying the biosphere. So my new name for the human species is Homo Esophagus, the man who devours the ecosystem. "