Creating Linux and Windows binaries for a PRISM extension

Ali A. Noroozi

Aug 19, 2018, 10:05:24 AM8/19/18
to PRISM model checker developers
 Hi,

I have developed a security tool, which is built upon PRISM. Now, I want to publish the source code, along with Linux and Windows binaries. How can I create these binaries?

Joachim Klein

Aug 20, 2018, 1:22:04 PM8/20/18
to Ali A. Noroozi, PRISM model checker developers
Cool!

Generally, to package a binary PRISM release, there are quite a few
steps (creation of the manual etc) that are not that easy to replicate.

However, to just provide a working binary, the following steps should work:

1) Have a clean working directory with the source code
2) As usual, run make
3) Run make binary
This gathers all the compiled Java classes into lib/prism.jar
4) Then, it should suffice to zip or tar the following directories and
files:
bin/ etc/ lib/
README.txt CHANGELOG.txt COPYING.txt install.sh
(see
https://github.com/prismmodelchecker/prism/blob/master/prism/Makefile#L515
for the corresponding step in the Makefile)
(probably with adapted README.txt etc)

You can also have a look what's otherwise included in the binary PRISM
distributions.

Afterwards, on Linux, the user has to run install.sh to set the correct
path in the startup bin/prism and xprism scripts.

Generally, it's a good idea to use a version 8 Java JDK for the
compilation (the lowest Java version that works with PRISM).
For Linux, I guess it makes sense to only provide 64bit binaries now.

For Windows, you have to use the cygwin compilation method as described
here:
http://www.prismmodelchecker.org/manual/InstallingPRISM/Instructions#cygwin

To obtain 32bit and 64bit binaries, you have to install a 32bit JDK
version, compile and package the binaries and then do the same again
with a 64bit JDK - using the i686 mingw gcc for 32bit and the x86_64
mingw gcc for 64bit...

Hope that points you in the right direction.

Cheers,
Joachim Klein

Ali A. Noroozi

Aug 21, 2018, 2:09:24 AM8/21/18