How do I block "rogue printers"?

Flashfox

Feb 7, 2010, 4:10:01 PM2/7/10
to PrinterShare
Lucky for me, I configured PrinterShare to seek authorization before
printing. This being said. I am getting several attempts to "print"
from unknown users. I previewed a few and I don't like what I see.

How can I limit access to specific users/devices? After all, the only
reason I got PrinterShare was to be able to print information from my
Nexus One to my home printer... I never intended it to be open to the
public.

BTW, I hoped that I could delete "default" user, but I can't.

Suggestions?

Flashfox

Feb 7, 2010, 4:24:11 PM2/7/10
to PrinterShare
Follow-up...

I read the instructions in the FAQ on how to make the printer
invisible. However, I cannot find a similar dialogue box as
illustrated in the FAQ as I am running Microsoft Windows 7
Professional (x86). Perhaps you can point me to the right settings in
this operating system?

Technical Support

Feb 8, 2010, 1:51:57 AM2/8/10
to PrinterShare
You are looking for "Permissions" dialog box, available from
PrinterShare client's main menu under User | Permissions.

Nikita Frolov
Technical support

Flashfox

Feb 8, 2010, 2:45:31 AM2/8/10
to PrinterShare
Thanks for the feedback.

However, all I see there is me (Flashfox) and "Default", which I
cannot delete. How can another user queue-up to my printer if he is
not listed? One of these is user 777065 from an iPhone.

Technical Support

Feb 9, 2010, 1:45:29 AM2/9/10
to PrinterShare
You can set "Reject" for default user and any other permission for
yourself. Default user is like "Everyone", applies to every user
unless stated otherwise.

Also you can select a local printer in client, click "Properties"
button under the list, and receive the dialog with "Hide from search
results" flag.

Nikita Frolov
Technical support

Flashfox

Feb 11, 2010, 1:36:10 AM2/11/10
to PrinterShare
Thanks... it now only lets me access the printer ;-)