RepRap Morgan

Don Park

Aug 19, 2013, 6:06:55 PM8/19/13
to print...@googlegroups.com
I want to share this new RepRap model that makes a very interesting leap in build simplicity (with I assume reduced accuracy), The RepRap Morgan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZT1-EUbJJs

As you can see from the video, its contribution is using a single 'arm' to move the printhead, eliminating the usual X/Y axis scaffolding.

The RepRap wiki page for it is here:
http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap_Morgan

All the printable parts are on github. Github's .stl file viewer looks great
https://github.com/qharley/Morgan/blob/master/stl/Eckstruder_Big_Gear_Herringbone.stl

I hope to gather all the printable parts to put one of these together. If you have a printer and can contribute a few prints, that'd be helpful!

Don

Nathan McCorkle

Aug 19, 2013, 8:31:30 PM8/19/13
to print...@googlegroups.com
Do you have any idea what the total parts cost will be?
> --

-Nathan

Don Park

Aug 20, 2013, 2:02:23 AM8/20/13
to print...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathan,

The reprap.org wiki page points to this Bill of Materials link that
looks very detailed.
http://kitbom.com/WillAdams/reprap-morgan

The single highest price item I saw is the ceramic hot-end extruder
for $59, but the stepper motors and controllers also add up quickly.

Don

Tom Frisch

Aug 20, 2013, 11:19:29 AM8/20/13
to print...@googlegroups.com
Hey Don, my printer is working, and I can help you print out a few parts.  Let me know what you need.  I'm out of town till Sept 2nd, so I can't start on it till then.

Just out of curiosity,
What are the benefits of this printer design beyond low part count?
What are the drawbacks?
Tom Frisch  /  t...@tom11.com  /  mobile: 503.473.2801  /  www.tom11.com