Motor recommendations?

Aaron Eiche

Feb 14, 2013, 2:52:05 AM2/14/13
to print3dpdx

Hey folks,

I'm looking to replace the steppers in my cupcake with nicer ones. The kyosans I have right now have a really high resistance (~30ohm) and I understand most motors are significantly less. Also, my motors are loud. So, any recommendations?  I'm going to need to replace the pulleys as well as I think the shafts on my cupcakes' motors are an uncommon size

Thanks,
Aaron

Tom Frisch

Feb 28, 2013, 1:45:20 PM2/28/13
to print...@googlegroups.com
Hey Aaron, not sure if anyone got back to you about motors.
They got much quieter when I switched to electronics that use pololus that can do 1/16 microstepping.

-Tom

---------------------------------------
Tom Frisch  /  t...@tom11.com  /  mobile: 503.473.2801  /  www.tom11.com

Aaron Eiche

Feb 28, 2013, 2:07:50 PM2/28/13
to print3dpdx
Thanks Tom,

I've got 4 motors on my printer right now, one of them (my extruder's) is a much nicer motor and it isn't nearly as loud as the other 3 (those being the ones that came with my makerbot. This is running off of a printrboard, which is capable of 1/16th - the noise level on the extruder motor makes me think that it is in part related to the actual motor. FWIW: The motors that makerbot included with the original cupcake were pretty lousy.

These look like they'll be great replacements.

Tom Frisch

Feb 28, 2013, 2:11:09 PM2/28/13
to print...@googlegroups.com
I've been happy with them.  Of course the lower speed of the extruder means that it'll never be as loud as the x/y motors.

-Tom