FW: Digest for preventing-conflict@googlegroups.com - 2 Messages in 1 Topic

1 view

Michael Lund

Apr 29, 2011, 8:40:08 AM4/29/11
to preventin...@googlegroups.com

This seems not to have gone out.

Dear John,

Thank you for passing along this important news.  Sad, yes, but highlighting one of the few towering figures that the field of conflict prevention can claim.  It’s a shame he did not receive the Nobel Peace Prize he was nominated for, as he can count many concrete contributions to peace.  I met him when he was a USIP fellow as I was running the USIP fellows program at the time.  And then followed the work of the HCNM in connection with my research on why Macedonia and other places at risk averted conflicts.

I like your idea of learning lessons from his work. It is remarkable how little research is being done on what has actually worked and then applying it appropriately in like situations.  Unfortunately, events on conflict prevention do not seem to get beyond the handwringing and commonplaces of the 1990s, as the documented lessons of actual experience are not being disseminated and used.

I hope your own work is going well,

Michael Lund