Fwd: The Tech Challenge for Atrocity Prevention: Now Open for Business!

Patrick Meier

Nov 22, 2012, 2:38:19 AM11/22/12
to preventing-conflict
Hi All, submissions for the first part of this challenge closes on Nov 29th.

Nov 22, 2012, 3:15:24 AM11/22/12
to preventin...@googlegroups.com, Dunja DUJANOVIC, Kashif Rashid (kashif.rashid@wfp.org)

FYI

Kevin WYJAD

UN World Food Programme

Mobile: +39 346 341 7535

Skype: kjwyjad

David Carment

Nov 22, 2012, 7:37:11 AM11/22/12
to preventing-conflict
Thanks Patrick - in some respects this is quite bizarre though I
understand the rationale by which it is being proposed.

Almost every night our TVs are flooded by first hand visual accounts
of atrocities committed by state and non state actors - in the Middle
East and around the globe.

That "we" are so obviously enablers to these processes in so many
different ways would easily (using the guidelines specified
below) bring the finger pointing back to "us"

Perhaps we should not be so smug about our presumed lack of complicity

dc

At 02:38 AM 11/22/2012, Patrick Meier wrote:
>Hi All, submissions for the first part of this challenge closes on Nov 29th.

David Carment
Professor of International Affairs,
CDFAI Fellow and Editor - Canadian Foreign Policy Journal
www.cdfai.org
www.carleton.ca/cifp
www.tandf.co.uk/journals/rcfp
www.carleton.ca/~dcarment

Helene

Nov 22, 2012, 11:06:46 AM11/22/12
to preventin...@googlegroups.com, Helene

Nice to see your work advancing, Patrick.

Just to echo David and Helene, with whom I fully concur, I would suggest that fuller grasp of well-established notions such as agency, dependency, clientalism, etc. would, together with existing information (from popular media, twitter, etc.), yield sufficient evidence which, with competent analysis, already enables us to know about, i.e. foresee, and even to stop/prevent such atrocities.

I have long-maintained that information is simply not the problem.  Indeed, we must be careful not to perpetuate this myth and the related excuse "If only we knew..."  The related myth/proposition of "If only we had better information..." (so we can know better or more exactly, and earlier) tends to under-lay the principal propositions supporting a "tech fix".

In my opinion, we already know... and technology will neither substantially improve the analysis nor, much less, address the main problems of responsibility and accountability.

As you know, I am all in favour of a continually improving science and art of violence reduction and prevention.  But let's ensure we get the balance right in our investments and avoid perpetuating myths which support too widespread excuses for what are simply irresponsible actions and avoidance of accountability.

Best regards and wishes,

John (these days in Yemen helping the UN SASG to nudge along the peace process)

David Carment

Nov 22, 2012, 11:36:56 AM11/22/12
to preventin...@googlegroups.com, Helene
John
I was thinking more along the lines of moral hazard - everything
from aiding and arming rebels groups and states engaged in atrocities
and attacking unarmed civilians to providing air cover and covert
support to armed groups engaged in toppling governments (and
committing atrocities while they do so) to providing humanitarian
assistance (feeding refugees or war?) to providing recognition for
break away states and armed militias.

Sometimes the mere acts of doing and saying nothing is a signal to
states and armed groups they can attack with impunity. Its quite
easy to trace culpability back to third parties and those third
parties are often those working at cross purposes with other arms of
their own government. The idea that "we" stand above it all is just
silly. A little refinement is in order. The clear separation of early
warning from early response is a good start.

hope your holiday shopping is going well
dc
> [...]
><http://mailto:helene...@gmail.com>helene...@gmail.com -
><http://mailto:helene...@redanalysis.org>helene...@redanalysis.org
>Red (team) Analysis (website):
><http://www.redanalysis.org/>http://www.redanalysis.org/
>Academic
>papers:
><http://independent.academia.edu/HeleneLavoix>http://independent.academia.edu/HeleneLavoix
>Twitter: <https://twitter.com/HLavoix>@HLavoix
>
>4, rue Paul Vaillant Couturier
>92300 Levallois Perret
>France
>
>"Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple
>and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until
>the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring
>gong�these are the features which constitute the endless repetition
>of history." Winston Churchill - House of Commons, May 2, 1935

John Packer

Nov 22, 2012, 11:48:46 AM11/22/12
to preventin...@googlegroups.com, Helene, David Carment
Dear David,

I think we mean quite similar if not the same things.  In legal terms,
we tend to use notions of "attribution", "responsibility", and
"liability" or "culpability" (for crimes).  It's basically the matter
of drawing/establishing connections ("tracing", as you say).  Yes,
"doing and saying nothing" are "acts of omission" with equal
significance (and responsibility) in context; cf the notion of
"negligence".

Technology can help with these... but it's far from the centre of these
issues (for which we have an abundance of information, almost too
much!).

Cheers!
John
> >gong葉hese are the features which constitute the endless repetition

David Carment

Nov 22, 2012, 11:59:58 AM11/22/12
to preventin...@googlegroups.com
willful blindness? - or perhaps something more?
do you mean
bill clinton's response to genocide in rwanda- " I don't want to
know about it"

or perhaps Susan Rice's - 'what will be the effect on elections in congress"?

or maybe our unwillingness to recognise pakistan as a destructive
force on stability in afghanistan

usaid might have a greater impact with its proposed funding if it
scruitinzed its own government's actions

the buck stops somewhere in there