where is release 1.12.13?

Erez F.

Jul 13, 2015, 3:09:44 PM7/13/15
to prett...@googlegroups.com
Hi
1) there was a Milestone 1.12.13, but no tag for release 1.12.13. why?
I see a jump between 1.12.12 to 1.12.14

2) If a mileStone is stated, does it means that there must be a release with the same number, or, releases can skip mileStones?
(perfectly understandable if some mileStones get skipped)

3) If some mileStones may not be released, please create a changeLog -a new file in prettyDiff which will contain tracking log for all issues/changes/highlights of every milestone. This is VERY IMPORTANT for tracing/tracking:
3.1) If every mileStone was released, then looking at the release commit-message could be sufficient. if not, there is no way to understand the full change log over a period of time
3.2) The file -as a single source of data, is easier to get around with.

in...@prettydiff.com

Jul 13, 2015, 5:31:08 PM7/13/15
to prett...@googlegroups.com
Erez,

I failed to create a git release for version 1.12.13. I forgot. Shortly
after I released this code to NPM I noticed a catastrophic bug in
JavaScript beautification triggered from an edge case. An hour later I
released v1.12.14 which fixed this JavaScript bug.

NPM forces semantic versioning. It will not allow you to publish to an
existing or lower version number. If you wish to publish to NPM you have
to raise the version number. In semantic versioning (semver) you have
three numbers separated by periods. The first number is to be incremented
on breaking changes, such as non-backwards compatible API or new features
that break old features. The middle number is for major enhancements that
are not breaking changes. The third number merely denotes minor patches or
bug fixes.

The git milestones I set are a planning target that allows me to set an
order to listed issues and a projection of when I may get to a particular
issue. It is my plan to align milestones with release versions and update
the milestones if something more immediate gets in the way.

I will be considering smarter ways to keep track of priorities. I really
need to finish writing my unit test harness as I think a unit test scheme
will help with everything from bug identification to project planning to
more frequent contributions.

Austin