WeBWorK processing error

Sean Fitzpatrick

May 25, 2023, 5:41:55 PM5/25/23
to PreTeXt support
Probably for Alex.

I'm trying to rebuild APEX to test some recent changes, and one of the questions is failing to build. The code for this question is three years old, and I have built successfully within the last year, and my WeBWorK server is at the same version (2.17) that it was the last time I built WeBWorK representations.

So I suspect something has changed in PreTeXt, but I don't know how to fix this particular problem.

Also worth noting: although there were no errors the last time I built the WW reps, when I activate this quesiton and click the "check answers" button, it gets stuck at "Loading".

Problem source:

<exercise>
<webwork>
<pg-code>
$options = new_checkbox_multiple_choice();
$options -> qa (
"A question can go here, but PTX ignores this",
math_ev3("3x^2-x+17"),
math_ev3("5\ln(x)"),
);
$options -> extra(
math_ev3("\frac{3}{x^2}"),
math_ev3("\sin(x) \cos(x)"),
math_ev3("e^{x^2}"),
math_ev3("\sqrt{x}"),
);
</pg-code>
<statement>
The derivative rules introduced in <xref ref="sec_basic_diff_rules">Section</xref>
explain how to compute the derivative of which of the following functions?
<var name="$options" form="checkboxes"/>
</statement>
</webwork>
</exercise>

Example of the problem in HTML:

Sean Fitzpatrick

May 25, 2023, 5:43:05 PM5/25/23
to PreTeXt support
I should have added that I'm building with CLI 1.5.3.

Alex Jordan

May 25, 2023, 6:22:02 PM5/25/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

Whether you are on 2.17, 2.17+, or 2.18, get the new macro file for checkbox answers:

Change this exercise's setup code for $options to be like in that file's documentation. It is similar to parserRadioButtons.pl and parserPopUp.pl.

Prior to this new macro, PTX WW did not really support checkbox style answers. There was some undocumented psuedo-support that I must have been relying on when I coded this one, but I shouldn't have done that.

Alex

Sean Fitzpatrick

May 25, 2023, 6:32:22 PM5/25/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
If I upgrade to 2.18, is the macro already there? I have a dedicated server for PreTeXt.

Still unsure why it was working a few months ago, but I'll add this to my to-do list.

Alex Jordan

May 25, 2023, 6:38:41 PM5/25/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it is in 2.18.

Note that "main" is still 2.17.
And "develop" is temporarily frozen from a few weeks back.
And there is a "2.18" branch (for both webwork2 and pg) that is still getting things added/fixed.

In a few weeks, "2.18" will merge into main and develop and then "2.18" will go away as a branch.

So anyway if you use the 2.18 branch right now, you will have some follow-up work to do. Not to mention all the new config file stuff. And you will need to decide if you will still serve using apache or move to nginx or hypnotoad. If you move to say hypnotoad (which I think I would recommend) then you have a few new things to learn about during configuration. But Glenn's instructions (a work in progress) are good:

Also I would recommend checking on a weekly basis to pull updates into "2.18". We have a weekly meeting Thursday morning where many things get merged. So Friday is a good day to pull.

Sean Fitzpatrick

May 26, 2023, 10:42:14 AM5/26/23
to PreTeXt support
For now, I've just placed the macro in the local macros folder for the course.
WW generation works fine, and the PGML that's created works if I run it directly on the WW server.
But the embedded problem still freezes when I click the Check Answers button.

My updated source looks like this:

<exercise>
<webwork>
<pg-code>
$options = CheckboxList(
[[
math_ev3("3x^2-x+17"),
math_ev3("5\ln(x)"),
math_ev3("\frac{3}{x^2}"),
math_ev3("\sin(x) \cos(x)"),
math_ev3("e^{x^2}"),
math_ev3("\sqrt{x}")
]],[0,1,2,5]);
</pg-code>
<statement>
The derivative rules introduced in <xref ref="sec_basic_diff_rules">Section</xref>
explain how to compute the derivative of which of the following functions?
<var name="$options" form="checkboxes"/>
</statement>
</webwork>
</exercise>

Alex Jordan

May 26, 2023, 11:29:56 AM5/26/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Does the browser console indicate a js error?

Also, try a new browser and/or clear the cache in case you browser has an old pretext-webwork.js.

Alex Jordan

May 26, 2023, 12:25:15 PM5/26/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
I see/remember now that there are some edits to PGbasicmacros.pl that are part of 2.18 that are relevant. I have them on the AIM server already, which is moving to 2.18 soon.

How do you feel about just going to 2.18? Otherwise, you need the rest of the changes that are here:

Sean Fitzpatrick

May 26, 2023, 3:11:56 PM5/26/23
to PreTeXt support
I can try moving to 2.18. I would need some convincing to move away from Apache.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Jun 8, 2023, 1:34:37 PM6/8/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Update:

I've upgraded the server that we use for PreTeXt to WeBWorK 2.18.
For now I'm still using the Apache proxy because I can't get the page to load with Hypnotoad only. I think this is because my SSL certs aren't compatible (I have cert, key, and chain bundle, and hypnotoad doesn't change the chain bundle).

The upgrade process involved replacing the old webwork2-apache2.4.config file with a webwork2.apache.2.4.conf file. Initially I forgot to add the Access-Control-Allow-Origin lines to the new file, and got the usual CORS errors in the console.
I've put those back in, and I don't get a console error anymore, but I also can't get any of the webwork problems in the books to load.

Alex Jordan

Jun 8, 2023, 1:36:17 PM6/8/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Can you post a link to a page where it's not working? I will see if there are units in th javascript console.

Alex Jordan

Jun 8, 2023, 1:37:36 PM6/8/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Also, not that it should affect this, but keep pulling webwork2 and pg, WeBWorK-2.18 and PG-2.18 branches. Seems like every day three are a few more changes.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Jun 8, 2023, 1:59:27 PM6/8/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Here's the page I was trying:

https://opentext.uleth.ca/apex-accelerated/sec_limit_intro.html

Note that I haven't rebuilt webwork reps since upgrading but I don't think that should be needed.

Alex Jordan

Jun 8, 2023, 2:04:22 PM6/8/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
I'm not getting console errors, it's just not getting a response...

Alex Jordan

Jun 8, 2023, 2:58:24 PM6/8/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Have you upgraded courses yet? Does the host course need its database tables updated?

Sean Fitzpatrick

Jun 8, 2023, 3:18:59 PM6/8/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
AHH! Of course! Upgrading courses is enough to get things to respond.
There are some new CORS errors due to mathquill fonts, so probably that points to something else that needs to be added to the configuration.

Alex Jordan

Jun 8, 2023, 3:42:08 PM6/8/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
You might need the last setting here;

    <Location /webwork2/html2xml>
        Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"
    </Location>
    <Location /webwork2_files>
        Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"
    </Location>
    <Location /pg_files>
        Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"
    </Location>

Sean Fitzpatrick

Jun 8, 2023, 5:50:43 PM6/8/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Good news is that this fixed the CORS error. Bad news is that I get an
internal server error when I try to submit an answer.

https://webwork-dev.uleth.ca/webwork2/html2xml?AnSwEr0001=1&previous_AnSwEr0001=&MaThQuIlL_AnSwEr0001=1&problemSeed=15&problemUUID=webwork-15&psvn=undefined&courseName=apex-accelerated&courseID=apex-accelerated&userID=anonymous&course_password=anonymous&displayMode=MathJax&session_key=undefined&outputformat=raw&language=undefined&showSummary=undefined&showSolutions=0&showHints=0&forcePortNumber=undefined&problemSource=RE9DVU1FTlQoKTsKbG9hZE1hY3JvcygiUEdzdGFuZGFyZC5wbCIsIk1hdGhPYmplY3RzLnBsIiwiUEdNTC5wbCIsIm5pY2VUYWJsZXMucGwiLCJBbnN3ZXJGb3JtYXRIZWxwLnBsIiwiUEdsYXRleGltYWdlLnBsIiwiUENDbWFjcm9zLnBsIiwiY29udGV4dFBpZWNld2lzZUZ1bmN0aW9uLnBsIiwiQVBFWC5wbCIsIlBHY291cnNlLnBsIiwpOyRyZWZyZXNoQ2FjaGVkSW1hZ2VzSW5lcnQ9MTtURVhUKGJlZ2lucHJvYmxlbSgpKTsKJGE9MDsKJGIgPSBub25femVyb19yYW5kb20oLTUsNSwxKTsKaWYgKCRlbnZpcntwcm9ibGVtU2VlZH0gPT0gMSl7CiAgJGIgPSAzOwp9OwokZjEgPSBGb3JtdWxhKCJjb3MoeCkiKS0%2BcmVkdWNlOwokZjIgPSBGb3JtdWxhKCJ4XjIrJGIqeCsxIiktPnJlZHVjZTsKQ29udGV4dCgiUGllY2V3aXNlRnVuY3Rpb24iKTsKQ29udGV4dCgpLT5mbGFncy0%2Bc2V0KHRvbFR5cGU9PiJhYnNvbHV0ZSIsdG9sZXJhbmNlID0%2BIDAuMDAwMDEpOwokZiA9IFBpZWNld2lzZUZ1bmN0aW9uKCJ4IDw9ICRhIiA9PiAiJGYxIiwgInggPiAkYSIgPT4gIiRmMiIpOwokbCA9ICRmMS0%2BZXZhbCh4ID0%2BICRhKTsKQHRhYmluID0gKCRhIC0gMC4xLCAkYSAtIDAuMDEsICRhIC0gMC4wMDEsICRhICsgMC4wMDEsICRhICsgMC4wMSwgJGEgKyAwLjEpOwpAdGFib3V0ID0gbWFweyRmLT5ldmFsKHggPT4gJF8pfSAoQHRhYmluKTsKJHhtaW4gPSAtMzsKJHhtYXggPSAzOwokaW1hZ2VfMSA9IGNyZWF0ZUxhVGVYSW1hZ2UoKTsKJGltYWdlXzEtPmFkZFRvUHJlYW1ibGUobGF0ZXhJbWFnZVByZWFtYmxlKCkpOwokaW1hZ2VfMS0%2BQkVHSU5fTEFURVhfSU1BR0UKXGJlZ2lue3Rpa3pwaWN0dXJlfQogIFxiZWdpbntheGlzfVsKICAgICAgZ3JpZD1ib3RoLAogICAgICB4bWluPSR4bWluLAogICAgICB4bWF4PSR4bWF4LAogICAgXQogICAgXGFkZHBsb3RbZmlyc3RjdXJ2ZXN0eWxlLCBkb21haW49JHhtaW46JGEsIGluZmluaXRlbGVmdF0ge2Nvcyh4KjE4MC9waSl9OwogICAgXGFkZHBsb3RbZmlyc3RjdXJ2ZXN0eWxlLCBkb21haW49JGE6JHhtYXgsIGluZmluaXRlcmlnaHRdIHskZjJ9OwogICAgJSBCZSBzdXJlIHRvIGluY2x1ZGUgc29tZSBhcmVhIGFib3ZlIGFuZCBiZWxvdyB4LWF4aXMKICAgIFxhZGRwbG90W21hcms9bm9uZV0gY29vcmRpbmF0ZXMgeygwLDIpICgwLC0yKX07CiAgXGVuZHtheGlzfQpcZW5ke3Rpa3pwaWN0dXJlfQoKRU5EX0xBVEVYX0lNQUdFCgpCRUdJTl9QR01MCltgXGxpbVxsaW1pdHNfe3hcdG8gWyRhXX1mKHgpXHRleHR7LH1gXSB3aGVyZSBbYGYoeCk9WyRmXWBdCgpbQEtleWJvYXJkSW5zdHJ1Y3Rpb25zKCdJZiB0aGUgbGltaXQgZG9lcyBub3QgZXhpc3QsIHlvdSBtYXkgdHlwZSBbfERORXxdKi4gSWYgeW91IG5lZWQgdG8gZW50ZXIgW2BcaW5mdHlcdGV4dHssfWBdIHlvdSBtYXkgdHlwZSBbfGluZnxdKi4nKUBdKioKCltfXXskbH17MTB9CgoKRU5EX1BHTUwKCkJFR0lOX1BHTUxfU09MVVRJT04KRm9yIGEgbnVtZXJpY2FsIGFwcHJveGltYXRpb24sIG1ha2UgYSB0YWJsZToKCj4%2BIFtARGF0YVRhYmxlKFtbW1BHTUwoJ1tgeGBdJyksbWlkcnVsZT0%2BJzEnLHJvd2Nzcz0%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%2BJ2xsJyxjZW50ZXI9PjAsKTtAXSogPDwKCkZvciBhIGdyYXBoaWNhbCBhcHByb3hpbWF0aW9uOgoKPj4gW0BpbWFnZShpbnNlcnRHcmFwaCgkaW1hZ2VfMSksIHdpZHRoPT42MDApQF0qICA8PAoKSXQgYXBwZWFycyB0aGF0IHdoZW4gW2B4YF0gaXMgY2xvc2UgdG8gW2BbJGFdXHRleHR7LH1gXSB0aGF0IFtgZih4KWBdIGFwcHJvYWNoZXMgWyRsXS4gU28gW2BcbGltX3t4XHRvIFskYV19Zih4KT1bJGxdXHRleHR7Ln1gXQoKCkVORF9QR01MX1NPTFVUSU9OCgpFTkRET0NVTUVOVCgpOw%3D%3D&answersSubmitted=1&WWsubmit=1
500 (Internal Server Error)
send @ jquery.min.js:2
ajax @ jquery.min.js:2
w.<computed> @ jquery.min.js:2
getJSON @ jquery.min.js:2
handleWW @ pretext-webwork.js:108
(anonymous) @ pretext-webwork.js:255

Alex Jordan

Jun 8, 2023, 9:03:29 PM6/8/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Is the perl JSON module installed?

Sean Fitzpatrick

Jun 8, 2023, 9:17:38 PM6/8/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
JSON and JSON::MaybeXS are both loaded

Alex Jordan

Jun 8, 2023, 10:02:23 PM6/8/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
I do not understand why (yet) but if I cut off the last two query parameters, then I get what I think you should be getting:

[...]

Sean Fitzpatrick

Jun 8, 2023, 10:08:47 PM6/8/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Do I need to edit a file somewhere to have the server report its version as 2.18 rather than 2.17+develop?

Alex Jordan

Jun 8, 2023, 10:10:08 PM6/8/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
That's the VERSION file in the root folder. But if you edit it now, you will get a conflict in a future pull. We are waiting til the actual release to make that change.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Jun 9, 2023, 3:07:08 PM6/9/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
OK. I just vaguely recall that this was necessary once in the past.
But based on the issue you opened on GitHub it sounds like this is probably not something I've set wrong on my server.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Jun 12, 2023, 1:07:49 PM6/12/23
to PreTeXt support
I've run into another problem, but I don't know if this is a 2.18 thing, or something else.
When trying to generate webwork representations, I get
error: PTX:ERROR: There was a problem contacting the WeBWorK server

I'm not prepared to blame 2.18, because I also upgraded Ubuntu from 20.04 to 22.04 (this made it easier to install all the new Perl libraries I needed).
But something went very wrong with my networking config during upgrade.
I've fixed things as far as the server being able to reach the outside world again, but maybe it's not listening with whatever service is needed by the pretext/pretext script.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Jun 12, 2023, 1:10:02 PM6/12/23
to PreTeXt support
Probably should have added: there's an additional error line.
error: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)

Alex Jordan

Jun 12, 2023, 1:26:00 PM6/12/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Looking at the pretext.py code where that message is delivered, this may be from having the VERSION file say "2.17+develop" instead of say, "2.18". Can you try with that change? And when I have time I will try to make the version determination more clever.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Jun 12, 2023, 7:37:50 PM6/12/23
to PreTeXt support
It seems it was not just that. Which is good, I guess, since I'm 80% through setting up a new webwork VM.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Jun 12, 2023, 9:45:41 PM6/12/23
to PreTeXt support
Hmm.... I've just finished a fresh install using the 2.18 branch. I'm using hypnotoad instead of apache.
The new server isn't using https yet.

I get the same error, and changing the VERSION file (and restarting the webwork2 service) doesn't make any difference.
CLI log is attached.

cli.log