PDF output can't be generated (while HTML is)

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Sep 13, 2022, 12:50:25 AM9/13/22
to PreTeXt support
Hi there!

I heard of pretext months ago, but I just got my hands on it in the last few days. I started with a very small project consisting of solutions to selected exercises on calculus of several variables. Due to the subject it is very natural to have lots of pictures and 3D plots from asymptote or sage.

When  I render HTML, everything is fine (all the bells and whistles work well), but when trying to have the PDF version of it I get some "no such file or directory: main.pdf" message. The main reason for that LaTeX compilation failure seems to be that all of the PDF counterparts of HTML file generated by asymptote have 0 bytes. I understand that there's no obvious convertion from such HTML file to static image formats due to the distinct nature of information of objects. Is there a solution or workaround I'm missing?

I may provide any further information, even the whole set of file if it helps.

Thanks in advance and best regards, Alexandre

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Sep 13, 2022, 12:59:34 AM9/13/22
to PreTeXt support
For the sake of completion, I just commented all the files with some asymptote 3D graphics and `pretext build -d pdf`runs smoothly, generating even the QR-code for a YouTube video (an animation made with manim).

Thanks!

Oscar Levin

Sep 13, 2022, 8:14:28 AM9/13/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexandre,

From the pretext command you give, it looks like you are using an older version of the CLI.  So let's try updating that, since support for generated assets improved over the summer.

You will want to uninstall pretextbook (pip uninstall pretextbook) and then install pretext (no book, just pip install pretext).  Then pretext --version should give 1.0.3.

The new command to generate assets is to use -g instead of -d.  So pretext build -g pdf.  You can also do pretext generate asymptote to try to generate just the asymptote images.

Report back how this works and we can investigate further.

Oscar.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Sep 13, 2022, 8:28:51 AM9/13/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Asymptote builds to different formats depending on the target, so if there are a lot of diagrams it can be useful to do
pretext generate -t pdf asymptote
(I think that's the right command) to specify PDF output.

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Sep 13, 2022, 7:37:45 PM9/13/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oscar,

Thanks for your prompt reply. And sorry for the following long message,
I intended to be comprehensive in my report.

I upgraded pretext here to 1.0.3, created a new empty project and copied
both requirements.txt and project.ptx from it to my current project
(also copied my files to the new empty project to avoid missing
anything). I just run

pretext build --generate ALL web

and it produced a working website as the html option on version 0.6.3,
asymptote 3D graphics running smoothly. Then I went to the pdf version
and notice that project.ptx changed that target to print, so I run

pretext build --generate ALL web

It runs "ok", producing a 10 page PDF with everything until the section
where the asymptote files appear. When it calls pdflatex I see the
following error message:

! Unable to load picture or PDF file 'generated/asymptote/exfunca.pdf'.
<to be read again>
}
l.1018 ...ewidth]{generated/asymptote/exfunca.pdf}

Output written on main.pdf (10 pages).
Transcript written on main.log.

The same happens with the target print-latex and running pdflatex on
it. All the PDFs intended to be generated from asymptote code have 0 bytes:

lymber@desktop:~/2022-2454/2454-ex_resolv/generated-assets/asymptote$ dir
total 2512
-rw-r--r-- 1 lymber lymber 197417 Sep 13 19:45 exfunca.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 lymber lymber 0 Sep 13 20:13 exfunca.pdf
-rw-r--r-- 1 lymber lymber 188737 Sep 13 19:46 exfuncb.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 lymber lymber 0 Sep 13 20:13 exfuncb.pdf
-rw-r--r-- 1 lymber lymber 1728053 Sep 13 19:45 fig_exemplonivel-graf.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 lymber lymber 0 Sep 13 20:13 fig_exemplonivel-graf.pdf
-rw-r--r-- 1 lymber lymber 172239 Sep 13 19:45 fig_parabeli-graf.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 lymber lymber 0 Sep 13 20:13 fig_parabeli-graf.pdf
-rw-r--r-- 1 lymber lymber 273807 Sep 13 19:45 fig_parabhip-graf.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 lymber lymber 0 Sep 13 20:13 fig_parabhip-graf.pdf

(I'm writing the project in portuguese)

See the console input/output:

lymber@desktop:~/tmp/new-pretext-project$ pretext build --generate ALL print-latex
PreTeXt project found in `/home/lymber/tmp/new-pretext-project`.
Genearting all assets in default formats.
Note: No webwork elements found.
Note: No latex-image elements found.
Now generating asymptote images

converting Asymptote diagrams from /home/lymber/tmp/new-pretext-project/source/main.ptx to PDF graphics for placement in /home/lymber/tmp/new-pretext-project/generated-assets/asymptote with method "server"
extracting Asymptote diagrams from /home/lymber/tmp/new-pretext-project/source/main.ptx
string parameters passed to extraction stylesheet: {'publisher': '/home/lymber/tmp/new-pretext-project/publication/publication.ptx'}
XSL conversion of /home/lymber/tmp/new-pretext-project/source/main.ptx by /home/lymber/.ptx/xsl/extract-asymptote.xsl
comprehensive messages, warnings, and errors:
successful application of /home/lymber/.ptx/xsl/extract-asymptote.xsl
converting /tmp/user/1000/tmp8a5s__8c/fig_parabeli-graf.asy to /tmp/user/1000/tmp8a5s__8c/fig_parabeli-graf.pdf
converting /tmp/user/1000/tmp8a5s__8c/exfunca.asy to /tmp/user/1000/tmp8a5s__8c/exfunca.pdf
converting /tmp/user/1000/tmp8a5s__8c/fig_exemplonivel-graf.asy to /tmp/user/1000/tmp8a5s__8c/fig_exemplonivel-graf.pdf
converting /tmp/user/1000/tmp8a5s__8c/fig_parabhip-graf.asy to /tmp/user/1000/tmp8a5s__8c/fig_parabhip-graf.pdf
converting /tmp/user/1000/tmp8a5s__8c/exfuncb.asy to /tmp/user/1000/tmp8a5s__8c/exfuncb.pdf
Now generating sageplot images

<end of console output>

And from this it goes to all remaining convertions and file generations
(which are ok). BTW, I notice the typo on the first line "Genearting"
instead of "Generating"...

Should I attach any file to help the debugging process (if it is a bug)?

Best, Alexandre
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/cdfd5a19-db27-435f-ac05-02286f308d55n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> > .
> >

> --

Alexandre Lymberopoulos - lym...@gmail.com

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Sep 13, 2022, 8:29:12 PM9/13/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

PDF outuput is achieved bu the print target in version 1.0.3. Performing
your command with this adaptation generates again 0 bytes PDF files.

Best, Alexandre
> >> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/cdfd5a19-db27-435f-ac05-02286f308d55n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> >> .
> >>
> > --
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/CAOU9BaUSxz1sh035a%2Bng7YwmBqRmpuGmr8UY5u-%2BMhBV%3D67Pqw%40mail.gmail.com
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/CAOU9BaUSxz1sh035a%2Bng7YwmBqRmpuGmr8UY5u-%2BMhBV%3D67Pqw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> > .

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Sep 13, 2022, 8:59:20 PM9/13/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Hi there, another input.

Just the created a new project (pretext build new) and run both web and
print version with the original sage3d image aneverything was
fine. Adding my asymptote file to it makes print target to create a 13 page
PDF (stopping at the page where the asymptote image should appear) and
it is ok on web target.

It seems obvious that there is something wrong with the conversion from
3d asymptote to PDF file (2d asymptote runs fine). One noticeable thing
is that sage 3d graphics are converted to png, while asymptote 3d is
tentatively converted to PDF. Why is this difference in the formats for
the same target? I think I don't have the skills to check the source
code and chenge it to have png files from asymptote 3d (but would be
glad to help under guidance).

Find the asymptote file I'm trying to use here attached.

Best, Alexandre

On Sep 13 2022, Sean Fitzpatrick wrote:
> >> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/cdfd5a19-db27-435f-ac05-02286f308d55n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> >> .
> >>
> > --
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/CAOU9BaUSxz1sh035a%2Bng7YwmBqRmpuGmr8UY5u-%2BMhBV%3D67Pqw%40mail.gmail.com
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/CAOU9BaUSxz1sh035a%2Bng7YwmBqRmpuGmr8UY5u-%2BMhBV%3D67Pqw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> > .
> >

> --
fig_asymptote3d.ptx

Sean Fitzpatrick

Sep 13, 2022, 10:21:23 PM9/13/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
What happens if you try to compile an individual Asymptote file, either locally, or by running your code on the Asymptote web app?

If you're using LaTeX to build a PDF, I believe you want to include PDF graphics where possible.
Some programs might not produce PDF output though, so you can use PNG or JPG as well.

I'm not sure if Asymptote directly supports PNG format for 3D graphs. Originally PDF was the preferred format, using Adobe's PRC technology to make 3d images interactive in PDF. But WebGL makes it somewhat obsolete.

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Sep 13, 2022, 11:20:22 PM9/13/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

On Sep 13 2022, Sean Fitzpatrick wrote:
> What happens if you try to compile an individual Asymptote file, either
> locally, or by running your code on the Asymptote web app?
> http://asymptote.ualberta.ca/

Both on my local installation and the above website the file compiles
perfectly.

> If you're using LaTeX to build a PDF, I believe you want to include PDF
> graphics where possible.
> Some programs might not produce PDF output though, so you can use PNG or
> JPG as well.

No doubt PDF is better when it is no bitmap.

> I'm not sure if Asymptote directly supports PNG format for 3D graphs.
> Originally PDF was the preferred format, using Adobe's PRC technology
> to make 3d images interactive in PDF. But WebGL makes it somewhat
> obsolete.

We have a point here. The working asy file attached here renders the
html but gives some errors when output is set to PDF or PNG. See the
console output:

X Error of failed request: GLXBadFBConfig
Major opcode of failed request: 153 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 0 ()
Serial number of failed request: 43

I faced this sometime ago, reported do Debian BTS and Hilmar Preuße
noticed this has nothing to do with Asymptote (hence to
pretext). Setting

export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5

allows asymptote to generate those "flat formats", but doesn't fix the
problem when convertion is called from pretext.

What's the output of glxinfo|grep OpenGL at your machines? Assuming
you're ok in posting this infor here and that 3d asymptote files work
well on print target of pretext, of course.

I'll try to use the PDFs produce here as external assests as a
workaround.

Best, Alexandre
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/CAH%2BNcPYEbXoQE39t%2BqnD_hR7smV5kMo0E8jRLRUEJs1JqgwAbA%40mail.gmail.com.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Sep 14, 2022, 5:55:28 PM9/14/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
I'm afraid I don't have much time now for debugging, but this seems to
explain why the PDF build is failing.

Some things you can do:
1. there is a switch to specify a "method" for Asymptote. If it compiles
on your local version of Asymptote, you can switch to local. I can't
recall how to do this in the CLI, but maybe Oscar or Steven can chime in.

2. there's a forum on the Asymptote Sourceforge page where you could
probably ask about why this isn't compiling on the Asymptote server.
I've got a book with lots of 3D asymptote that builds to PDF on John's
server without problems, so they might be able to help you debug.

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Sep 15, 2022, 6:49:55 PM9/15/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Sean.

Thanks for your time on this.

> Some things you can do:
> 1. there is a switch to specify a "method" for Asymptote. If it compiles on
> your local version of Asymptote, you can switch to local. I can't recall how
> to do this in the CLI, but maybe Oscar or Steven can chime in.

Unfortunately, I can't any description of this on the documentation.

> 2. there's a forum on the Asymptote Sourceforge page where you could
> probably ask about why this isn't compiling on the Asymptote server.
> I've got a book with lots of 3D asymptote that builds to PDF on John's
> server without problems, so they might be able to help you debug.

I think I made myself not clear: the code I mentioned compiles smoothly,
both on web page and on my local installation, when HTML outuput is
selected. The problem (on my local installation) is compilation with PDF
or PNG outputs. I can fix this, when running asymptote on the .asy file,
setting the environment variable MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE as below. But
setting it doesn't help the convertion process on a "pretext build
print" run.

Since conversion of sage code work, is there any chance to adapt this
convertion to asymptote files? (I would try this by myself, but can't
find where this goes in the pretext code).

Best, Alexandre
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/d600780d-20cb-0c03-0c92-5b438ce7866a%40gmail.com.

Rob Beezer

Sep 16, 2022, 5:13:51 AM9/16/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alexandre,

Can you post here one problematic "asymptote" element? I can test with that, but it will be a few days before I get to it.

Rob

Sean Fitzpatrick

Sep 16, 2022, 12:54:33 PM9/16/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
What I meant is:

1. If your .asy file compiles fine with HTML as the outformat, but not PDF,
then this is an Asymptote problem, and not a PreTeXt problem, even though it has to do with how Asymptote relies on other libraries in your system , such as the MESA GL renderer.

2. We use John Bowman's server for Asymptote. Since he's the primary developer, his server is generally more up to date than most people's local installation.
If your code requires MESA to be at a certain version, and this does not correspond to the version on his server, then you must either build Asymptote locally, or contact John to let him know why things aren't working.
The best way to inform him of this is to post to the Asymptote forum on their Sourceforge page.

It sounds like you need to force an older version of a library. He'll be able to tell you if this is possible on his server, and if you post your .asy source, maybe he can tell you how to fix your code so that this is not necessary.

(This is not a problem with all .asy code that imports the 3D libraries, because I have a book with over 400 Asymptote 3D images that all compile successfully to PDF on John's server.)

3. Using the pretext script (not CLI), here is the documentation on how to change the method from server to local:
Section 45.11: Methods

There may be a way to do this with the CLI. I would try running `pretext generate --help`, or maybe one of the CLI people can add more.

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Sep 16, 2022, 12:57:32 PM9/16/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rob,

You may find one of the files with asymptote code attached. Does it help?

The line

currentlight.background=black+opacity(0);

is used to achieve transparent background on HTML output. Commenting
it you get white background, but this doesn't help on PDF rendering.

Thanks, Alexandre

fig_exfunca.ptx

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Sep 17, 2022, 4:53:31 PM9/17/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Sean.

I reported all of I mantioned here on Asymptote forum. I'm not sure if
writing to John Bowman personally is a good idea, I don't want to be
clumsy in a first contact.

Best, Alexandre
> <https://pretextbook.org/doc/guide/html/pretext-method.html#pretext-method>

Sean Fitzpatrick

Sep 19, 2022, 3:43:05 PM9/19/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
For support, the forum is probably best.
He might not answer immediately though. It's still early in the fall
semester in Alberta.

Rob Beezer

Sep 19, 2022, 6:51:02 PM9/19/22
On 9/16/22 09:57, Alexandre Lymberopoulos wrote:
> You may find one of the files with asymptote code attached. Does it help?

Yes, it does. Thanks.

The third line of the Asymptote code is:

settings.outformat = "html";

When I remove that line, the PreTeXt routines create a non-empty PDF file with a
rather nice graphic/surface in it.

Rob

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Sep 19, 2022, 10:55:51 PM9/19/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Rob.

Shame on me. John Bowman told me that when you "hardwire" output like
that no command line option are processed. This is why I got a 0 bytes
pdf here.

Removing this os all files in this project (and all of my .asy files)
made my day. All that remains is the outdated OpenGL version installed
with my graphics card provided by Debian. But this has nothing to do
with PreTeXt and doesn't affect my project with it, since conversions
runs on some magic place (that is not my computer :P)

Thanks to all of you for your patience and support. I'm loving PreTeXt!
(will write my notes for many courses, from calculus to manifolds, on
it)

Best, Alexandre

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Sep 19, 2022, 10:57:09 PM9/19/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Sean.

He aswered almost immediately with the precise and perfect answer,
pointed here by Rob.

Best, Alexandre
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/d91e8369-69b9-a17a-f498-3571b0f19e57%40gmail.com.

Rob Beezer

Sep 20, 2022, 8:36:44 AM9/20/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alexandre,

Thanks for the follow-up, and I'm glad you are back in business. We'll be here
if you need more help down the line.

Rob

Sean Fitzpatrick

Sep 20, 2022, 2:26:25 PM9/20/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
This thread is good evidence that I haven't had time to sit down and
look at PreTeXt stuff while in my office, in front of a computer.
Otherwise I could have looked at the Asymptote code a week ago... It
doesn't read quite as well on my phone.

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Sep 20, 2022, 7:42:29 PM9/20/22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Rob.

I'm a bit outdated on my programming skills, but I would love to
contribute to sch wonderful projects like PreTeXt.

Best, Alexandre