Translation to pt-BR

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Feb 7, 2023, 9:41:38 PM2/7/23
to PreTeXt support
Dear all,

I'm very happy with the improvements on 1.4.0 of pretext, specially mention to search field that appears out of the box now!

One thing about it is the following "error" messages when building:

    * PTX:WARNING: could not translate string with id "search-results-heading" into language for code "pt-BR"
    * PTX:WARNING: could not translate string with id "no-search-results" into language for code "pt-BR"

As a native pt-BR speaker I would replace "search-results-heading" by "Buscando por" and "no-search-results" by "Não encontrado". How can I fix this, first locally, to report here if it works?

Best, Alexandre

Rob Beezer

Feb 7, 2023, 10:46:17 PM2/7/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alexandre,

The PreTeXt XSL has a "xsl/localization" directory and there will be a file
"pt-BR.xml" with all the definitions.

That directory also has a README, while the "documentation" is in "en-US.xml"
and not repeated in other files.

Uncomment and edit the two lines. The CLI puts the XSL in a hidden ".ptx"
directory in your home folder. I think editing there works, but maybe messing
around there is a bit dangerous?

If you are satisfied, I can add them officially, or you can make a pull request.

I should put a more careful version of that in the Guide...

Rob
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/c5fcf942-1aeb-48bd-8505-75a644627c85n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/c5fcf942-1aeb-48bd-8505-75a644627c85n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Feb 7, 2023, 11:11:34 PM2/7/23
to PreTeXt support
Dear Rob,

Thanks for the prompt answer. It worked perfectly here. It would be nice if Igor, Vinicius or Leon could validate this translation. I'll try to remember how to handle git and make the pull request... :)

BTW, I could also work on other pending translations.

Best, Alexandre

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Feb 7, 2023, 11:32:25 PM2/7/23
to PreTeXt support
Hi again,

Did something (hopefully meaningful) that I wish to be a pull request on the github website... :P Is there a way to do this via command-line? I remember git clone, git commit etc. stuff, but git push asked for the username/password and then said password authentication is no longer supported. Any tips on how to do this in Debian Linux?

Best, Alexandre

David W. Farmer

Feb 8, 2023, 7:14:44 AM2/8/23
to PreTeXt support

You can push from the command line as you have in the past,
but you need to have GitHub generate the password. They call it
a "personal access token", but in practical terms it is just
a password they generate for you.

Instructions here:

https://docs.github.com/en/authentication/keeping-your-account-and-data-secure/creating-a-personal-access-token
> pretext-suppo...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/c025e4c7-e2e2-4db9-bc57-2f20aa81b586n%40googlegroups.com.

Rob Beezer

Feb 8, 2023, 12:16:53 PM2/8/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alexandre,

That was fast! Pull request is now merged.

More updates are *always* welcome. And if so, go ahead and add yourself in as a
contributor in the right places (or I will!).

I have no idea how similar pt-BR and pt-PT are, but something is better than
nothing, so if you see terms that you think work there, feel free to add them.
A more native speaker can always correct them later.

Thanks,
Rob
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/c5fcf942-1aeb-48bd-8505-75a644627c85n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/c5fcf942-1aeb-48bd-8505-75a644627c85n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/c5fcf942-1aeb-48bd-8505-75a644627c85n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/c5fcf942-1aeb-48bd-8505-75a644627c85n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/d0e3f90a-0b76-4c1d-9d68-33995ff27a3bn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/d0e3f90a-0b76-4c1d-9d68-33995ff27a3bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alexandre Lymberopoulos

Feb 10, 2023, 10:20:03 AM2/10/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rob,

I'm happy to contribute with this. I'm not used to git, but I'm going to
get into it again.

It would be nice to become a contributor to this amazing project! (as
far as I can do this)

pt-PT and pt-BR are, despite people on each side of the Atlantic
disagree, very similar. pt-PT speakers are more resistant to
neologims. For instance the "mouse" (computer pointing device) is "rato"
there which is the word for mouse (animal)... ;)

I'll check th pt-PT file too.

Thanks, Alex
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PreTeXt support" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/MTAwMDAxNi5iZWV6ZXI.1675876611%40quikprotect.

Alexandre Lymberopoulos - lym...@gmail.com

Rob Beezer

Feb 10, 2023, 5:10:28 PM2/10/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Alex! I put some comments on your recent pull request. A couple of git
resources if you haven't seen them:

https://pretextbook.org/doc/guide/html/git-developer.html

https://pretextbook.org/gfa/html/

Rob