Updated PreText does not recognize tikz

26 views
Skip to first unread message

Suzanne Doree

unread,
Sep 22, 2026, 2:51:02 PM (10 days ago) Sep 22
to PreTeXt support
Until I recently updated PreText, my book built/deployed fine with many tikz images.  But then since the update, I get error after error.  I've tried pretext build web --clean and asked AI for help.  It muttered things about various tikz packages, but I can't imagine that's the problem.  For each image it says things like this 

error: LaTeX compilation of fig_K5-2.tex failed.
error: Re-run, requesting "source" as the format, to analyze the image.
error: Likely creating the entire document as PDF will fail similarly.
error: The transcript of the LaTeX run follows.

Literally 2 days ago all this was fine.

Sean Fitzpatrick

unread,
Sep 22, 2026, 2:58:53 PM (10 days ago) Sep 22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Are you running PreTeXt locally, or on codespaces? 
What is your current pretext version? 

I haven't noticed any problems but maybe someone can try to reproduce the issue with one of their projects. 

If not, it could be an issue with the LaTeX installation, or something wrong in your source. (In the latter case, someone would need to see your source.)

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PreTeXt support" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pretext-suppo...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/b54aea20-68f3-473e-a950-f0e503ddfec7n%40googlegroups.com.

Sean Fitzpatrick

unread,
Sep 22, 2026, 3:03:50 PM (10 days ago) Sep 22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
When I hit trouble with Tikz I usually run something like

pretext -v debug --save-tmp-dirs generate latex-image

(It might be keep-tmp-dirs; I always forget!)

The debug output will say where the temp folder is, and then I grab the .tex file for the image that didn't build, and see what happens if I build that directly with LaTeX. 

I'm not sure if the pretext CLI will let you build latex-image with source as the output format. I think that's more the developer script but I could be wrong.

Suzanne Dorée

unread,
Sep 22, 2026, 8:16:22 PM (9 days ago) Sep 22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
It’s not the tikz files because they built just fine before I updated.  Running on GitHub codespace.  Had AI run all those type of diagnostics.  At one point it flagged like 20+ tikz files, again al. Of which are okay.  So it’s the update 2.50 (ran fine on 2,43) i’ve not asked AI to uninstall the update and go back to 43 and hopefully it will work but I just wanted to point out that this might be a problem with the 50 version


Dr. Suzanne "Su" Dorée
Professor of Mathematics
Department of Mathematics, Computer Science, and Data Science
Augsburg University, 2211 Riverside Avenue CB 93, Minneapolis, MN 55454

Office: Hagfors 185
Office phone: (612) 330-1059 (no voicemail, please)
Pronouns: she/her/hers


Oscar Levin

unread,
Sep 22, 2026, 9:05:32 PM (9 days ago) Sep 22
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Please update to 2.53, which fixes the tikz issue.

Suzanne Dorée

unread,
Sep 23, 2026, 9:18:00 AM (9 days ago) Sep 23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Okay, will do.

Dr. Suzanne "Su" Dorée
Professor of Mathematics
Department of Mathematics, Computer Science, and Data Science
Augsburg University, 2211 Riverside Avenue CB 93, Minneapolis, MN 55454

Office: Hagfors 185
Office phone: (612) 330-1059 (no voicemail, please)
Pronouns: she/her/hers


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages