inline interactive exercises

Geoffrey Cox

May 18, 2023, 4:04:18 PM5/18/23
to PreTeXt support
I noticed that when I don't wrap interactive exercises (e.g., true/false, multiple choice) inside <exercises> (or some other divisional environment), the feedback doesn't display after clicking "Check Me."  See attached screenshot.  I sort of like the idea of having these as little embedded checkpoints without the numeric id and header. Is there something I am missing to make it work, or am I abusing the pretext structure?Pretext Question.PNG

David W. Farmer

May 18, 2023, 5:17:20 PM5/18/23
to PreTeXt support

Could it be that the feedback is inserted into the page,
but not in a way that is visible to you? That is not possible to
investigate without a line example.
> work, or am I abusing the pretext structure?Pretext Question.PNG
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/ae00cc71-52c3-40f5-83f7-fd2aa75f21b7n%40googlegroups.com.

Rob Beezer

May 18, 2023, 5:27:31 PM5/18/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Dear Geoffrey,

This is an inline exercise, not in an "exercises" division, and the "feedback"
shows for me.

Exercise 5.16.1: True/False and Explain
https://pretextbook.org/examples/sample-book/noparts/html/interactive-projects.html#exercise-231

Can you try it? Maybe look at sample-book source to see if you are doing
something different?

Otherwise, provide more for us to go on, or ask follow-up questions.

Rob

Reporting CLI version information, browser used , etc. might be helpful.
> abusing the pretext structure?Pretext Question.PNG
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/ae00cc71-52c3-40f5-83f7-fd2aa75f21b7n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/ae00cc71-52c3-40f5-83f7-fd2aa75f21b7n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Geoffrey Cox

May 21, 2023, 9:51:44 AM5/21/23
to PreTeXt support
Thanks for your help and quick replies.

Looking into this further, I found that my publication file had inline-exercises set as knowls. After turning this off, the feedback for the interactive questions displayed as intended.

For stylistic reasons, my preference would be to allow the user to reveal the checkpoint questions.  Is it possible to have the best of both worlds, or do I have to un-knowl my inline-exercises if I want them to be interactive?

Thanks,

Geoff

Geoffrey Cox

May 21, 2023, 9:54:18 AM5/21/23
to PreTeXt support
Also, I am currently using github's codespace along with chrome.

Rob Beezer

May 21, 2023, 2:02:11 PM5/21/23
On 5/21/23 06:51, Geoffrey Cox wrote:
> Looking into this further, I found that my publication file had inline-exercises
> set as knowls. After turning this off, the feedback for the interactive
> questions displayed as intended.

Right. This sort of flawed interaction is known. But not very well-publicized.
I'll put a (temporary) note in the documentation, and I've made an issue.

https://github.com/PreTeXtBook/pretext/issues/1983

> For stylistic reasons, my preference would be to allow the user to reveal the
> checkpoint questions.  Is it possible to have the best of both worlds, or do I
> have to un-knowl my inline-exercises if I want them to be interactive?

You can have the best of both worlds! But you'll have to wait. Sorry. Maybe
somebody else can (a) look into this, or (b) speculate on what it will take.

Thanks very much for the report.

Rob

Geoffrey Cox

May 22, 2023, 1:53:24 PM5/22/23
to PreTeXt support
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for a fix in future updates.