Sundstrom book in PreTeXt catalogue

Sean Fitzpatrick

Feb 7, 2023, 8:33:34 PM2/7/23
to PreTeXt support
I noticed that the PreTeXt catalogue now lists Ted Sundstrom's Mathematical Reasoning textbook, which was interesting for me because I've taught from that book before, and liked it. But as far as I can tell, the only thing that's available is a PDF generated by LaTeX.

Was this added by mistake? Or is there now a PreTeXt version, but the catalogue still links to the old one?

David Austin

Feb 7, 2023, 10:23:05 PM2/7/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Here's the PreTeXt version.  The source code is here along with some background.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2023 at 8:33 PM Sean Fitzpatrick <dsfitz...@gmail.com> wrote:
I noticed that the PreTeXt catalogue now lists Ted Sundstrom's Mathematical Reasoning textbook, which was interesting for me because I've taught from that book before, and liked it. But as far as I can tell, the only thing that's available is a PDF generated by LaTeX.

Was this added by mistake? Or is there now a PreTeXt version, but the catalogue still links to the old one?

David Austin

Feb 7, 2023, 10:23:46 PM2/7/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com

Sean Fitzpatrick

Feb 7, 2023, 10:38:44 PM2/7/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks!
I don't know when I'll teach this course again, but I'm happy to know this exists.

kcri...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2023, 7:28:58 AM2/8/23
to PreTeXt support
On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 10:38:44 PM UTC-5 dsfitz...@gmail.com wrote:
Great, thanks!
I don't know when I'll teach this course again, but I'm happy to know this exists.

Though note: "This is not the official version, do not use for your teaching or learning. For the active edition, visit the GVSU Scholarworks page."  Reading the README, looks like Oscar and David helped quite a bit in making this version a reality.

GVSU Open Education Resources

Mar 15, 2023, 11:53:08 AM3/15/23
to PreTeXt support
As others have mentioned, there is a PreTeXt edition based on the 2021 MR book, but it does diverge slightly from the official, current PDF, mostly in the form of typos, exercise corrections, and numbering of elements (i.e., the numbers from the web and pdf do not necessarily match). The author requested that we put the notice/warning that we did in order to direct instructors to the most up-to-date version. The pretext version is complete and can technically be taught from but it is important to note the differences between versions.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Mar 15, 2023, 12:21:55 PM3/15/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
If I recall correctly, there is a nice set of screencast videos to accompany the book.
Although it would further throw off the numbering, it would be cool to see those included. :-)