Build process is stuck

Juan Carlos Bustamante

Jan 28, 2023, 2:51:09 PM1/28/23
to PreTeXt support
Hello to everyone,

Whe buiding (any target), I run into a new problem. The pretext build web command does not finish. Instead it gets stuck at

input directory expanded to absolute path: /../Sandbox/new-pretext-project/assets

As you see, I am getting this *also* on a fresh project. The pretext build web -g command got stuck at the same place, after generating what was needed.

I am on Ubuntu 22.04 and upgraded to pretext 1.4.0. The problem first showed at 1.3.0, though.

Can try on another machine, later. But this is quite weird, and the machine I am using is the usual one.

Any suggestion?

JC

Juan Carlos Bustamante

Jan 28, 2023, 3:35:53 PM1/28/23
to PreTeXt support

Update :

The build actually finishes, 2 later, on the same machine I was using before.
The command time pretext build web gives, at the end

Success! Run `pretext view web` to see the results.
real    2m10,794s
user    0m0,271s
sys     0m0,032s

So everything was somehow stopped between

input directory expanded to absolute path: /home/local/USHERBROOKE/busj2301/Documents/Sandbox/new-pretext-project/assets
Runestone Services (via PreTeXt repository): version 6.4.0

JC

Rob Beezer

Jan 28, 2023, 4:52:05 PM1/28/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
On 1/28/23 12:35, Juan Carlos Bustamante wrote:
> Runestone Services (via PreTeXt repository): version 6.4.0

That leads me to suspect:

https://runestone.academy/cdn/runestone/6.4.4dev/

which is fine for me. Can you reach that URL in a web browser?

Please post *all* of the output with debugging enabled, subsequent lines could
be helpful.

Rob

Juan Carlos Bustamante

Jan 28, 2023, 5:25:15 PM1/28/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am able to reach the URL you point. It take no longer that what is normally expected.

Here is the output. I only cropped the path to the .ptx files

Thanks!

pretext -v debug build subset
PreTeXt project found in `/.../SCQ726-pretext`.
debug: CLI version 1.4.0 matches requirements.txt 1.4.0.
warning: Assets like latex-images will not be regenerated for this build
warning: (previously generated assets will be used if they exist).
warning: To generate these assets before building, run `pretext build -g`.
debug: XML syntax appears well formed.
debug: PreTeXt document did not pass schema validation; unexpected output may result. See .error_schema.log for hints.  Continuing with build.
Preparing to build into /.../SCQ726-pretext/output/subset.

Now building HTML into /.../SCQ726-pretext/output/subset

Only building @xml:id `C-2-Analytique`

debug: Now working in directory .
discovering source file's directory name: /.../SCQ726-pretext/source
verifying and expanding input directory: /.../SCQ726-pretext/source/../generated-assets
input directory expanded to absolute path: /.../SCQ726-pretext/generated-assets
verifying and expanding input directory: /.../SCQ726-pretext/source/../assets
input directory expanded to absolute path: /.../SCQ726-pretext/assets

Runestone Services (via PreTeXt repository): version 6.4.0
Runestone Services (using newer, via online CDN query): version 6.4.4
converting /.../SCQ726-pretext/source/SCQ726.ptx to HTML in /tmp/tmp37i7qcke
XSL conversion of /.../SCQ726-pretext/source/SCQ726.ptx by /home/local/USHERBROOKE/busj2301/.ptx/xsl/pretext-html.xsl
debug: XSL conversion via /home/local/USHERBROOKE/busj2301/.ptx/xsl/pretext-html.xsl of /.../SCQ726-pretext/source/SCQ726.ptx to None and/or into directory /tmp/tmp37i7qcke with parameters {'debug.skip-knowls': 'yes', 'altrs-js': 'runtime.6b31f4c5fa38d888.bundle.js:637.d54be67956c5c660.bundle.js:runestone.06446f602ba3689b.bundle.js', 'altrs-css': '637.0fa6cababf056764.css:runestone.93e720e6c6581fb5.css', 'altrs-cdn-url': 'https://runestone.academy/cdn/runestone/', 'altrs-version': '6.4.4', 'publisher': '/.../SCQ726-pretext/publication/publication.ptx', 'subtree': 'C-2-Analytique'}
comprehensive messages, warnings, and errors:
successful application of /home/local/USHERBROOKE/busj2301/.ptx/xsl/pretext-html.xsl
debug: Successfully changed directory back to .

Success! Run `pretext view subset` to see the results.

Rob Beezer

Jan 30, 2023, 6:32:25 PM1/30/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Can you try using the pretext/pretext script on the new, or old, souce that
you have?

Chapter 47: The pretext Script
https://pretextbook.org/doc/guide/html/pretext-script.html

Thanks,
Rob
> 'runtime.6b31f4c5fa38d888.bundle.js:637.d54be67956c5c660.bundle.js:runestone.06446f602ba3689b.bundle.js', 'altrs-css': '637.0fa6cababf056764.css:runestone.93e720e6c6581fb5.css', 'altrs-cdn-url': 'https://runestone.academy/cdn/runestone/ <https://runestone.academy/cdn/runestone/>', 'altrs-version': '6.4.4', 'publisher': '/.../SCQ726-pretext/publication/publication.ptx', 'subtree': 'C-2-Analytique'}
> comprehensive messages, warnings, and errors:
> successful application of /home/local/USHERBROOKE/busj2301/.ptx/xsl/pretext-html.xsl
> debug: Successfully changed directory back to .
>
> Success! Run `pretext view subset` to see the results.
>

> Le sam. 28 janv. 2023, à 16 h 52, Rob Beezer <bee...@privacyport.com
> <mailto:bee...@privacyport.com>> a écrit :
>
> On 1/28/23 12:35, Juan Carlos Bustamante wrote:
> > Runestone Services (via PreTeXt repository): version 6.4.0
>
> That leads me to suspect:
>
> https://runestone.academy/cdn/runestone/6.4.4dev/
> <https://runestone.academy/cdn/runestone/6.4.4dev/>
>
> which is fine for me.  Can you reach that URL in a web browser?
>
> Please post *all* of the output with debugging enabled, subsequent lines could
> be helpful.
>
> Rob
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/MTAwMDAwMi5iZWV6ZXI.1674942723%40quikprotect <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/MTAwMDAwMi5iZWV6ZXI.1674942723%40quikprotect>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/CAHyrz11U2VurPY%3DWOxSQrTnPyk-f%3DxqJgaqrTJn2ZQZwE%2BOU5Q%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/CAHyrz11U2VurPY%3DWOxSQrTnPyk-f%3DxqJgaqrTJn2ZQZwE%2BOU5Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Steven Clontz

Jan 31, 2023, 12:42:59 PM1/31/23
to PreTeXt support
If you don't want to mess with the core pretext/pretext script, sharing a GitHub repository with your code would allow me to investigate directly.

@Oscar I should really get on https://github.com/PreTeXtBook/pretext-cli/issues/330 so folks that want to see the result of pretext/pretext from CLI users can do so without the cumbersome installation process involved with pretext/pretext.

Steven Clontz

Jan 31, 2023, 12:48:18 PM1/31/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Ah I just clocked that this isn't an issue with source as you're reporting the issue on a new project.

I'm going to try to update the CLI so tomorrow you can install the nightly release and access the core services Rob is suggesting.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PreTeXt support" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/aa8b0a43-0a6a-453b-b39e-60aa682de64cn%40googlegroups.com.

Rob Beezer

Jan 31, 2023, 12:51:30 PM1/31/23
On 1/31/23 09:42, Steven Clontz wrote:
> cumbersome installation process involved with pretext/pretext
It is an important tool for development, and should not be cumbersome for
developers.

So with nobody knowledgeable about the CLI providing help on this thread, it was
the next thing for me to suggest.

Rob

Juan Carlos Bustamante

Jan 31, 2023, 1:48:26 PM1/31/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

I made new tests from different locations (so different Internet providers), and the problem seems to be gone. Later on today I will make a more complete set of tests, from home (where the problem originally showed up).
At the same time, the fact that I was able to reach the URL provided by Bob makes me think that's not the problem.

I ran time pretext build web for the same project as before. Everything went (almost) flawlessly :
real    0m4,914s
user    0m1,577s
sys     0m0,100s

I just noticed a small lag right after

input directory expanded to absolute path: /home/local/.../SCQ726-pretext/assets

Kind regards,
JC

Rob Beezer

Feb 1, 2023, 5:28:06 PM2/1/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, JC.

Your original report was in the vicinity of getting info about the latest
Javascript from a Runestone server, so that could be explained by sporadic
problems with the Internet somewhere (anywhere!) along the way.

After some amount of waiting, we fall back to slightly older info that lives in
the repository itself. You'll get a good build, but maybe a couple weeks behind on

Doing a debugging run *right after* you see a problem might relay the errors
that cause the delay and the fallback - if that really is the source of the problem.

So lets see if it happens again?

Rob

On 1/31/23 10:48, Juan Carlos Bustamante wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I made new tests from different locations (so different Internet providers), and
> the problem seems to be gone. Later on today I will make a more complete set of
> tests, from home (where the problem originally showed up).
> At the same time, the fact that I was able to reach the URL provided by Bob
> makes me think that's not the problem.
>
> I ran time pretext build web for the same project as before. Everything went
> (almost) flawlessly :
> real    0m4,914s
> user    0m1,577s
> sys     0m0,100s
>
> I just noticed a small lag right after
>
> input directory expanded to absolute path: /home/local/.../SCQ726-pretext/assets
>
> Kind regards,
> JC
>

> Le mar. 31 janv. 2023, à 12 h 51, Rob Beezer <bee...@privacyport.com
> <mailto:bee...@privacyport.com>> a écrit :
>
> On 1/31/23 09:42, Steven Clontz wrote:
> > cumbersome installation process involved with pretext/pretext
> It is an important tool for development, and should not be cumbersome for
> developers.
>
> So with nobody knowledgeable about the CLI providing help on this thread, it
> was
> the next thing for me to suggest.
>
> Rob
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/MTAwMDAxNi5iZWV6ZXI.1675187489%40quikprotect <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/MTAwMDAxNi5iZWV6ZXI.1675187489%40quikprotect>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/CAHyrz12307U7WABppXQt6okEeJXsv_8BO%2Br1Ye39BvvNsQNG2g%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/CAHyrz12307U7WABppXQt6okEeJXsv_8BO%2Br1Ye39BvvNsQNG2g%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Juan Carlos Bustamante

Feb 1, 2023, 7:28:12 PM2/1/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Hello again.

Thanks Bob for the input. It looks like there is some problem with the internet access, but it seems to me that this is the combination : home internet provider + cli 1.4.0.  I ran the command time pretext build web, on the same project :

  • From home, with the faculty provided laptop (recent i7, ubuntu 22.04)
    Some lag after the following line appears on the terminal

    input directory expanded to absolute path: /.../assets

The final part of the output is
real    2m12,923s
user    0m1,455s
sys     0m0,089s

  • From the university, same computer, tha lag was much smaller (at the same moment), nothing really noticeable, those were the results I posted yesterday.

  • real    0m4,914s
    user    0m1,577s
    sys     0m0,100s

  • From home, with personal laptop (old i7, ubuntu 20.04), with **cli 1.0.4**
    No lag at all,
    real    0m2.655s
    user    0m2.463s
    sys     0m0.132s
  • From home, with personal laptop (same as above), after upgrading to cli 1.4.0
    Big lag, at the same place, output
    real    2m14.027s
    user    0m2.745s
    sys     0m0.176s
Strange, isn't it?
How do I go back to 1.3.x?
JC

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/MTAwMDAwNy5iZWV6ZXI.1675290483%40quikprotect.

Oscar Levin

Feb 2, 2023, 8:54:12 AM2/2/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
To install a particular version of the CLI, run, for example, pip install pretext==1.3.0.

If you don't mind experimenting a bit, it will be helpful to determine the last version of the CLI that doesn't cause the issue.

Steven Clontz

Feb 5, 2023, 9:22:48 PM2/5/23
to PreTeXt support
If I recall correctly, core pretext added some phoning home to Runestone servers during the build process sometime between those releases (that is, I think this is the result of a core pretext Python routine change, not a CLI issue, but I could very well be mistaken).

Juan Carlos Bustamante

Feb 6, 2023, 4:35:35 PM2/6/23
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

I figured out how to install a previous version, but that gave lots of errors. In any case, the problem was still there after a (not error-free) downgrade. I'm back to 1.4.0.

However, I had some issues with my Internet provider, looks like some ipv6 addresses were not working. I do not know what they did, but at this time things are back to normal, at least from home. Last time I built from the office there still was a little lag, not very annoying.

Kind regards,

JC

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PreTeXt support" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-support/e13a25ad-cddb-43a0-8b65-f7aa3e6f72c5n%40googlegroups.com.