Too long between git pulls; lost functionality

Scott F Beaver

May 27, 2024, 2:48:21 PMMay 27
to PreTeXt support
Hi folks,

Last October 23 I compiled a <book> successfully to html.  I did not git pull since then (so the following is on me). When I finally did a git pull on 5/25, I typed in my usual command

..\..\xsltproc\xsltproc.exe --xinclude pretext-html.xsl ..\..\LATextbookProject\Linear-Algebra-Textbook-Project\ptx\index.ptx

and xsltproc ran without error messages, but the output (previously the default "book-1.html") was not generated. However, files with names like

root-1-2.html
root-1-2-4.html
root-1-2-4-2.html
root-1-2-16.html
root-1-2-16-2.html

were generated.  Further, each of these as well as all other pages I've checked are not the expected book webpages, but each has compiled into a directory form, correctly structured according to the chapters, sections, and subsections, but with bulleted links leading to the appropriate html file, which is always just a directory. So it seems that the book's webpages are not generating properly.

Trying to trap the issue, my coauthor compiled an old version of our book on her desktop, before git pulling, and the correct book pages for that version was generated.  She then git pulled, re-ran it, and obtained the same results as I have described above.

I looked through the PreTeXt Support discussions here back to last October but could not find anything that looked like it had the answer.

Happy to provide code.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott

Rob Beezer

May 27, 2024, 2:52:26 PMMay 27
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Only have a minute - these changes were announced on pretext-announce.

Rib

Oscar Levin

May 27, 2024, 3:34:40 PMMay 27
to PreTeXt support
This might be a good opportunity to upgrade to the CLI.  I'd be happy to help with that.

Rob Beezer

May 28, 2024, 1:00:38 AMMay 28
to pretext...@googlegroups.com
Generating HTML now requires using the. pretext/pretext script, at least. It will place CSS that will restore styling.

Put a @label on elements that you want to have different names for filenames.

And monitor the pretext-announce list for careful explanations of major changes like this.

Rob

kcri...@gmail.com

May 28, 2024, 3:15:24 PMMay 28
to PreTeXt support
Generating HTML now requires using the. pretext/pretext script, at least. It will place CSS that will restore styling.

Put a @label on elements that you want to have different names for filenames.

And monitor the pretext-announce list for careful explanations of major changes like this.

To be fair to the OP, the only post on pretext-announce I could find since October whose *title* indicated something like this was the "[REQUIRED READING]" from Jan. 23 (https://groups.google.com/g/pretext-announce/c/jMFtinR5tEc), and, as far as I can tell, even that post certainly doesn't mention requiring the pretext script for generating html with nothing fancy, just if you have to convert things like latex images:

"Urgency: none! This is all automatic, but your HTML output will change
dramatically. And on your first new build for any conversion, you must
regenerate any derived files (e.g. QR codes for HTML "interactive" that appear
in LaTeX/PDF output). "

I did do a search for the ngrams "pretext" and "script" in that message, but didn't come up with anything.

Since many of the pretext-announce posts are a wide variety of changes that have relevance to (often) only subsegments of the community, I think it's quite excusable that this nuance was missed; I know I would not have recognized this, and I use pretext/pretext all the time - but not necessarily during the school year :-)  Maybe "[BACKWARDS-INCOMPATIBLE WORKFLOW CHANGE]" would have been a suitable title, if I understand the gist of this thread correctly?  (Which I freely admit I may not.)  I hope this is a fair comment on behalf of the (hopefully many) PTX users who are still ramping up from fairly small projects to full-size ones and may have missed this.