WeBWorK "Make Active" button

1 view

Alex Jordan

Nov 12, 2022, 2:43:14 PM11/12/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
To activate a WeBWorK exercise, there is a button at the bottom of the
exercise to "Make Active". I am considering:

1. moving the button to the top of the exercise
2. keeping "Make Active" as the button label text for accessibility,
but visually using an icon that suggests what will happen.

Thoughts on either?

Rob Beezer

Nov 12, 2022, 3:34:00 PM11/12/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
"Make Active" is localized, we just got an Italian version from Valerio M the
other day. I don't see a problem with adding an icon. Will it look like a
magic wand making something magical happen?

The exercise number in HTML from PreTeXt (eg "72. "), and sometimes a title,
isn't always lining up nicely with our stable of interactive exercises. Does
moving the button up help or hurt that?

Rob

Alex Jordan

Nov 12, 2022, 3:51:15 PM11/12/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
> Will it look like a magic wand making something magical happen?

Maybe a wooden puppet turning into a real boy?

I try to be simple (lazy) and use unicode characters for icons. But
(a) if they are too obscure they are missing from some people's fonts
and (b) in this case I don't think I can find a good fit. So I don't
know what it would be, but Id' start by looking at open source icon
libraries.

> The exercise number in HTML from PreTeXt (eg "72. "), and sometimes a title,
isn't always lining up nicely with our stable of interactive exercises. Does
moving the button up help or hurt that?

Can you point to a live example? One thing that I know of that you may
be referring to is when the exercise has tasks, there is space (an
inline-block div maybe?) for an introduction following the number (and
title). That introduction is often empty. So then the tasks (a), (b),
etc. awkwardly start on the next line.

I'm imagining the icon would be on the same line as the number. I'd
play with various horizontal positions to see what looks good and does
not interfere with permalink icons.