Possibly interesting XML links?

Jones, Bryan

Nov 17, 2022, 2:47:24 PM11/17/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
All,

I found the <oXygen/> publishing engine, which uses DITA to produce HTML and PDFs from XML source. Per Wikipedia, "The Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) specification defines a set of document types for authoring and organizing topic-oriented information, as well as a set of mechanisms for combining, extending, and constraining document types." Under the hood, the <oXygen/> PDF converter uses Apache's FOP XSL-FO engine.

I thought I'd pass these along, in case they're helpful to the community.

Bryan
--
Bryan A. Jones, Ph.D.
Associate Professor

Our Master, Jesus Christ, is on his way. He'll show up right on
time, his arrival guaranteed by the Blessed and Undisputed Ruler,
High King, High God.
- 1 Tim. 6:14b-15 (The Message)

Rob Beezer

Nov 22, 2022, 1:23:25 PM11/22/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bryan,

Thanks for this. I looked at oXygen, DITA, and XSL-FO early in the process that
led to PreTeXt (I did not want to reinvent the wheel!).

Hard-core XML editors always seemed like overkill to me. And sometimes thaey
have extensions that are not portable. And cost money! XSL 3.0 would make my
life easier, but then the CLI breaks (lxml is 1.0, I believe). So a low-barrier
to entry (free processor, free editor) has been a conscious choice. Or maybe
you can claim we've gone for the least common denominator. No matter how you
phrase it, a conscious decision that has had good consequences.

DITA sort of feels like PreTeXt-Lite to me. Not as expressive as our authors
have desired. DocBook is not lite, but totally designed around (technical)
documentation. I spent a long time trying to extend DocBook. Maybe today my
XSL skills would get me further. Some of DITA's metadata is part of EPUB (iirc).

Peeked at Apache XSL-FO after our conversation the other day. David Farmer
would not like it since it seems they put vertical space on the *wrong* side of
objects. But I think it is worth pursuing, especially for projects that do not
need LaTeX as a dependency. But I don't have the bandwidth. If I did, I'd be
pursing Myst/Jupyter first.

Thanks,
Rob

On 11/17/22 11:47, Jones, Bryan wrote:
> All,
>
> I found the <oXygen/> publishing engine
> <https://www.oxygenxml.com/publishing_engine.html>, which uses DITA to produce
> HTML and PDFs from XML source. Per Wikipedia
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Information_Typing_Architecture>, "The
> Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) specification defines a set of
> document types for authoring and organizing topic-oriented information, as well
> as a set of mechanisms for combining, extending, and constraining document
> types." Under the hood, the <oXygen/> PDF converter
> <https://www.oxygenxml.com/chemistry-html-to-pdf-converter.html> uses Apache's
> FOP <https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/> XSL-FO engine.
>
> I thought I'd pass these along, in case they're helpful to the community.
>
> Bryan
> --
> Bryan A. Jones, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor
> Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
> 231 Simrall / PO Box 9571
> Mississippi State University
> Mississippi State, MS 39762
> http://www.ece.msstate.edu/~bjones <http://www.ece.msstate.edu/~bjones>
> bjones AT ece DOT msstate DOT edu
> voice 662-325-3149
> fax 662-325-2298
>
> Our Master, Jesus Christ, is on his way. He'll show up right on
> time, his arrival guaranteed by the Blessed and Undisputed Ruler,
> High King, High God.
> - 1 Tim. 6:14b-15 (The Message)
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/CAHhYbD_aoKZBu_wG4p1rF126yY1oFq4OQfWU_y-gKSqpKQEnaQ%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/CAHhYbD_aoKZBu_wG4p1rF126yY1oFq4OQfWU_y-gKSqpKQEnaQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jones, Bryan

Nov 22, 2022, 2:18:58 PM11/22/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

Sounds good -- as always, I appreciate your careful choices in terms of what makes sense for PreTeXt.

Bryan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/2d8e38e7-82e8-c094-52a5-d183d9a28757%40ups.edu.