Geogebra

Rob Beezer

Jul 23, 2024, 11:40:55 AM (15 hours ago) Jul 23
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Especially for Alex J and Brian W, but certainly anybody with the necessary
knowledge and skills can jump in.

There is a lot of interest from authors on getting Geogebra sizing right. Two
more just now at Drop-In.

I sort of understand the difference between @height, @width and
@material-height, @material-width.

I don't understand why we need a #slate to make this distinction. An author
with a "material ID" from Geogebra should only need an #interactive. This might
be my fault, and maybe it is just how things have evolved over time.

I see Mark Fitch using a #slate to add additional commands (something Alex made
possible, iirc).

Can something be done to get this working properly in a way that authors can
reliably insert Geogebra without jumping through too many hoops? Can I get a
little bit more education? Please?

HELP! ;-) ;-) ;-)

Thanks,
Rob

D. Brian Walton

Jul 23, 2024, 11:49:52 AM (14 hours ago) Jul 23
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

I would be happy to put together a PR so that the PreTeXt side only asks for a material-id, material-height, and material-width and lets the XSLT deal with creating an appropriate slate, etc. So the implementation would be like the slate approach that I provided last week but the author would only deal with those three items. I'm getting ready to go run a 4-day church youth camp, so I wouldn't be able to get to this until Monday. (Slight chance of a quick attempt late this afternoon.)

The reason for the difference is that the current implementation of getting Geogebra content based only on material-id is through a link that provides some very basic control through the extra parts of the URL. The problem is that this doesn't seem to support anything more than basic Geogebra content. Using a Geogebra applet allows for additional customization.

Geogebra seems to separate the visible dimensions (width/height) and the internal graphing dimensions (material-width/material-height). The URL approach allows control of visible dimensions but does not seem to give access to the graphing dimensions.

Brian

Alex Jordan

Jul 23, 2024, 12:02:24 PM (14 hours ago) Jul 23
to prete...@googlegroups.com
I stopped paying close attention to "interactive" sometime pre-pandemic. I don't have familiarity with its structure today. Whatever is going on with a GGB and a "slate", I suspect I was trying to conform to the nascent abstract "interactive" structure that was being discussed at the time. Tablets with slates and all that.

Probably saying what is known, but with GGB, we wanted to support three things:
* use a GGB material ID
* use a local GGB file
* cook up your own using its API

It sort of sounds like assembly could grow something simple into whatever is used now?

Alex Jordan

Jul 23, 2024, 12:08:12 PM (14 hours ago) Jul 23
to prete...@googlegroups.com

I believe there is (or was at one time) an issue to contend with. Somewhere inside a GGB material, certain size settings are set and stored. These can be pretty bad when it comes time to embed the thing in your PTX project, and at first the only thing you could do was go into the Material (assuming you have access to edit it or make a copy) and edit things there. So I did something in PTX that lets you load a material, and then follow up with some GGB API lines that make adjustments. Notably, with sizing and which tools (if any) appear in the toolbar. And of course whatever the API allows.

William Haynes

Jul 23, 2024, 4:04:57 PM (10 hours ago) Jul 23
to PreTeXt development
My book has lots of interactives containing a geogebra slate alongside another slate, which communicate back and forth between each other; for example see:

https://engineeringstatics.org/ggb_3d-dot_product_interactive.html

To get this to work, I had to customize the [@surface='geogebra'] xslt template to load the geogebra material using a javascript promise.  Necessary so that my javascript could set listeners and update scripts on the applet.     Would you entertain a pull request to merge this into the core xslt?

Thanks,
Will

Rob Beezer

Jul 23, 2024, 4:30:49 PM (10 hours ago) Jul 23
to prete...@googlegroups.com
On 7/23/24 13:04, William Haynes wrote:
> a geogebra slate alongside another
> slate, which communicate back and forth between each other; for example see:

That is exactly the motivation behind #slate.

> Would you
> entertain a pull request to merge this into the core xslt?

Definitely! Thank-you!

Rob

Rob Beezer

Jul 23, 2024, 4:42:23 PM (10 hours ago) Jul 23
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Brian, Alex, and Will, for the helpful replies.

> I would be happy to put together a PR so that the PreTeXt side only asks for a material-id, material-height, and material-width and lets the XSLT deal with creating an appropriate slate, etc.

That'd be great. And you shouldn't treat it as super-urgent, so don't press
before your time away.

Sounds like what you and Will might do might be disjoint, or we should stack
them so there are not conflicts. I'll try to merge the first one quickly so the
second can build on that work.

Rob