Overhaul branch, testing logistics - please participate!

Rob Beezer

Nov 28, 2022, 5:11:53 PM11/28/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
We are ready to firm up the long-running "overhaul" branch. When merged into
the "master" branch (soon!) it will cause significant changes to the HTML
surrounding your content. That means the header/banner, new footer, and
navigation via Table of Contents and Prev/Up/Next buttons. We want the new CSS
and Javascript to all make it look good. You can ensure *your* project looks
good down the line by alerting us to changes *now*, not later. Yes, I know it
is a busy time, but we are starting now so as to have everything in good working
order for the start of classes next term.

Your *content* on a page should not change, but certainly holler if it does.

The process is not as easy as using the CLI. If you understand and are able to
do the following, then please, please do. (And if the following makes no sense,
then count yourself out, and thank those who will do this.)

1. Clone the alternate repository and switch to the "overhaul" branch. My
clone is called "pretext-fork" below - you may want something similar.

https://github.com/rbeezer/pretext.git

2. Make a Python virtual environment. And "pip install" the "lxml" and
"requests" packages. Post here if there is a package I have forgotten.

https://pretextbook.org/doc/guide/html/python-virtual.html

https://pretextbook.org/doc/guide/html/pip-install.html

3. Build stock HTML output with a local/custom version of the following,
substituting your clone and your project.

$ pretext-fork/pretext/pretext -vv -c all -f html -p
pretext-fork/examples/sample-article/publication.xml
pretext-fork/examples/sample-article/sample-article.xml

4. If you can post live output someplace convenient/temporary, that will make
David's job even easier. For example:

https://pretextbook.org/doc/guide/html/processing-testing-html-globally.html

David F has an "overhaul" issues thread going. Please report there with
observations, and lets use this thread for the logistics of actually testing
this out. Thanks.

Rob

Thomas Shemanske

Nov 29, 2022, 2:12:33 PM11/29/22
to PreTeXt development
I did a quick test on one project.

Unless I did something wrong, as stated above in the pretext/pretext command, since there is no -o option specified, all files are written to a specified directory in /tmp where they can  viewed

PTX:INFO    : comprehensive messages, warnings, and errors:
PTX:INFO    : successful application of /usr/local/pretext-overhaul/xsl/pretext-html.xsl
PTX:DEBUG   : Temporary directories left behind for inspection: ['/tmp/tmpxbrbnfir']

Not sure it that was the intent.

Tom

Rob Beezer

Nov 29, 2022, 3:02:47 PM11/29/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
With no extra effort, the HTML files should go into your current working directory.

Every HTML build does some work in a temporary directory (your /tmp/tmpxbrbnfir)
which is normally scrubbed after it has outlived its usefulness. BUT, if you
run with "-vv" then the directories are left behind for debugging. (And in my
case they go away when I reboot in a few weeks.)

Does that explain what you are seeing?

Rob
> https://github.com/rbeezer/pretext.git <https://github.com/rbeezer/pretext.git>
>

> 2. Make a Python virtual environment. And "pip install" the "lxml" and
> "requests" packages. Post here if there is a package I have forgotten.
>
> https://pretextbook.org/doc/guide/html/python-virtual.html
> <https://pretextbook.org/doc/guide/html/python-virtual.html>
>
> https://pretextbook.org/doc/guide/html/pip-install.html
> <https://pretextbook.org/doc/guide/html/pip-install.html>
>

> 3. Build stock HTML output with a local/custom version of the following,
> substituting your clone and your project.
>
> $ pretext-fork/pretext/pretext -vv -c all -f html -p
> pretext-fork/examples/sample-article/publication.xml
> pretext-fork/examples/sample-article/sample-article.xml
>

> 4. If you can post live output someplace convenient/temporary, that will make
> David's job even easier. For example:
>
> https://pretextbook.org/doc/guide/html/processing-testing-html-globally.html
> <https://pretextbook.org/doc/guide/html/processing-testing-html-globally.html>
>

> David F has an "overhaul" issues thread going. Please report there with
> observations, and lets use this thread for the logistics of actually testing
> this out. Thanks.
>
> Rob
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/997477c2-d616-46ae-8321-76fdfd265b41n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/997477c2-d616-46ae-8321-76fdfd265b41n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Thomas R. Shemanske

Nov 29, 2022, 3:42:16 PM11/29/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Ugh!  Yes

So with the command templates you have, all files end up in the pretext-fork directory, not in the project directory..

Before CLI, the -o option was the only way to maintain my sanity with pretext builds :)

Maybe I will just reclone rather than try to clean house :)

Thanks

Tom

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PreTeXt development" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/4a0d0186-e0f3-808f-c7a7-caa5a3c51f7e%40ups.edu.

--
Thomas R. Shemanske
Grantham, NH

Thomas R. Shemanske

Nov 29, 2022, 3:52:42 PM11/29/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Sorry; -d option

Rob Beezer

Nov 30, 2022, 3:32:02 PM11/30/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
On 11/29/22 12:42, Thomas R. Shemanske wrote:
> Ugh!  Yes
>
> So with the command templates you have, all files end up in the pretext-fork
> directory, not in the project directory..
>
> Before CLI, the -o option was the only way to maintain my sanity with pretext
> builds :)

You found "-d". That is working for you?

> Maybe I will just reclone rather than try to clean house :)

I've done tnis ! But I can't reclone. Some combinations of:

rm -rf *.html knowl/ generated/ external/

git status

git stash save

git stash drop

Beautiful. ;-)

Rob

Thomas R. Shemanske

Nov 30, 2022, 3:40:10 PM11/30/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Well I guess I less willing to let git do the work for me :)

rm -rf old pretext-fork directory
git clone new one
mv project inside
fix command to use the -d and put the output in an output/web directory within the project

Rob Beezer

Dec 7, 2022, 1:02:56 PM12/7/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Messages in the "overhaul issues" thread, plus David, Brad, Rob, and Jason in
Tuesday Drop-In, suggest there are no show-stoppers preventing a merge of
overhaul into master. Should anyone present know of any reason that these
branches should not be merged in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your
peace.

Otherwise, I'll plan to do the merge over the weekend, announcements and/or
warnings escalating as this becomes more widely available.

CLI: would a new point-release (or whatever is appropriate) be possible the
weekend of 17/18 or thereabouts, rather than waiting for teh end of the month?
We could have a week of nightlies for wider testing/changes, and then we could
have this widely available over the holidays for a slow burn?

Steven Clontz

Dec 7, 2022, 1:37:07 PM12/7/22
to PreTeXt development
A big change in HTML output seems appropriate for a 1.2 CLI release rather than just a patch, if Oscar agrees.

Oscar Levin

Dec 7, 2022, 1:52:23 PM12/7/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
I agree.  I'll put this on my to-do list for a minor release that weekend.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Dec 8, 2022, 5:01:28 PM12/8/22
to PreTeXt development
Sorry for being late to this game -- the big testing weekend was not a holiday for me, and I was sick.

I've just done a build of APEX, using the overhaul branch and pretext/pretext (the same way I would have done it pre-CLI; I still have all my build commands in my .bashrc)
One main issue: the "Activate" button is not working for WeBWorK exercises. Console gives the following error: Uncaught ReferenceError: handleWW is not defined

I can pop a copy up on the web if that's helpful.

Unrelated to overhaul: calls to the Asymptote server were timing out, so I switched back to local, and noticed that the old rendering windows are popping up again.
(I thought we had an option to hide those.) RIP my attempts to work while that was running in the background!

Rob Beezer

Dec 8, 2022, 11:28:39 PM12/8/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
On 12/8/22 14:01, Sean Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I can pop a copy up on the web if that's helpful.

If you could, that would be helpful. I'm running way behind with WW on another
front.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Dec 9, 2022, 11:11:50 AM12/9/22
to PreTeXt development
Here's a link to a build of APEX using the overhaul branch:

The Chain Rule section has lots of WW exercises.

I'm not so sure I like the subsections in the side menu, but presumably there is a publisher switch to turn them off.

David W. Farmer

Dec 9, 2022, 11:37:54 AM12/9/22
to PreTeXt development

Sean: the next step is to incorporate the React rewrite of the
JavaScript.

The TOC will be partially collapsed, so you will not see those
subsections by default. But you will be able to click to
see them.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/09d7a8b2-647b-4a68-942e-a0f618ed1cd5n%40googlegroups.com.

Rob Beezer

Dec 9, 2022, 11:40:11 AM12/9/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
On 12/9/22 08:11, Sean Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I'm not so sure I like the subsections in the side menu, but presumably there is
> a publisher switch to turn them off.

The switch exists, but is not (yet) respected by the HTML conversion. (IIRC)

David W. Farmer

Dec 9, 2022, 11:53:40 AM12/9/22
to PreTeXt development

Figure 11.3.6 overlaps the video:
https://opentext.uleth.ca/apex-overhaul/sec_dot_product.html

That is Figure 11.3.4 in regular APEX, which does not have the
video. I can't tell of overhaul has a problem, or if there
is work-in-progress that maybe has markup issues.

Similar issue in Figure 11.4.8
https://opentext.uleth.ca/apex-overhaul/sec_cross_product.html#paragraphs-22

I don't see obvious changes in the surrounding text, so maybe this
is my problem?

The way the arrows are done on the vectors below, does not look good
and also causes very wide line spacing. Is it a MathJax problem?

Definition 11.2.2: Vector
https://opentext.uleth.ca/apex-overhaul/sec_vector_intro.html#def_vector

David
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/24fa8b49-e843-436d-bb6c-22db381fdec8%40aimath.org.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Dec 9, 2022, 12:30:43 PM12/9/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Links to non-overhaul versions below.
(BTW, is there a reason we don't have permalinks to figures? I'm giving links to the nearest paragraph.)

On 2022-12-09 9:53 a.m., David W. Farmer wrote:

Figure 11.3.6 overlaps the video:
https://opentext.uleth.ca/apex-overhaul/sec_dot_product.html
Looks OK in my last build without overhaul:
https://opentext.uleth.ca/apex-video/sec_dot_product.html#p-11157

That is Figure 11.3.4 in regular APEX, which does not have the
video.  I can't tell of overhaul has a problem, or if there
is work-in-progress that maybe has markup issues.

Similar issue in Figure 11.4.8
https://opentext.uleth.ca/apex-overhaul/sec_cross_product.html#paragraphs-22

I don't see obvious changes in the surrounding text, so maybe this
is my problem?

The way the arrows are done on the vectors below, does not look good
and also causes very wide line spacing.  Is it a MathJax problem?

Definition 11.2.2: Vector
https://opentext.uleth.ca/apex-overhaul/sec_vector_intro.html#def_vector

This one is the same in both versions. Maybe we're using the wrong LaTeX command for this. Because we want the arrow over both points, to indicate the vector from P to Q, we're using \overrightarrow{PQ}

In PDF, there's a little less vertical space between the letters and the arrow:

Sean Fitzpatrick

Dec 9, 2022, 12:33:00 PM12/9/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
I think I realize what is bugging me about the TOC:

the lines separating subsections are thicker than the lines separating a
new section from the previous subsection.

Is the React rewrite of the JavaScript not being incorporated
responsible for WeBWorK activation not working? or is that different
JavaScript?

Jason Siefken

Dec 9, 2022, 1:55:06 PM12/9/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com, Sean Fitzpatrick
The build you're looking at is _not_ a React build, so I suspect React
isn't involved in WeBWorK issues :-)

Rob Beezer

Dec 9, 2022, 2:15:56 PM12/9/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
On 12/9/22 09:30, Sean Fitzpatrick wrote:
> (BTW, is there a reason we don't have permalinks to figures? I'm giving links to
> the nearest paragraph.)

IIRC, try hovering to the left of the caption?

Rob Beezer

Dec 9, 2022, 4:05:21 PM12/9/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
On 12/8/22 14:01, Sean Fitzpatrick wrote:
> One main issue: the "Activate" button is not working for WeBWorK exercises.
> Console gives the following error: Uncaught ReferenceError: handleWW is not defined

Alex has this under control, working on it right now. (There was no WW JS in
the test version! ;-) ) Should be available soon, and/or after the upcoming merge.

Rob

Rob Beezer

Dec 9, 2022, 10:32:49 PM12/9/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
I've merged overhaul into master, and pushed to the main repository
(PreTeXtBook/pretext). (Yahoo!) Please test. Your HTML output should look
different, the new footer might be the most obvious clue.

Let's try to keep this thread open for *just* logistics, and continue to report
anomalies on the "overhaul issues" thread.

For the next week, the CLI nightlies will have this and any fixes we make. I'll
repost new samples at the website in the next couple of days at some point. And
of course, you can always pull and use the pretext/pretext script like in the
old days.

Next weekend, we'll step-up availability. rbeezer/pretext has served its
purpose, I need to do a small bit of housekeeping over there still, I think, so
please stop using that.

Thanks for your patience with this long process.

Rob

David W. Farmer

Dec 10, 2022, 7:34:44 AM12/10/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com

Those APEX images were messed-up because of presenter_mode.css
from Runestone.

I added extra CSS to over-write it.

Should be okay now.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/4fae184a-8daf-b36c-c552-0b532d4f477d%40gmail.com.

Steven Clontz

Dec 10, 2022, 9:23:32 AM12/10/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PreTeXt development" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/81b2593f-b6ac-da1a-2e10-4dc94f6cc24%40aimath.org.