the overhaul branch

David Farmer

Nov 10, 2022, 10:58:31 PM11/10/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com

I think I have made the CSS adjustments for the current overhaul
branch with either

a) the default outer styling, or
b) the crc outer style.

In either of those cases, the files that matter are

shell_X.css
banner_X.css
navbar_X.css
toc_X.css

where X = "default" or X="crc".

I was unable to tell if the pretext_html.xsl on the overhaul
was doing that correctly (it seemed like it was, but I did not
do a proper test).

What I think would help for the next step is, merge all the
recent changes from master, such as the search boxes. Then
make a new overhaul betas with

1) The default outer and the default style
2) The default outer and the oscarlevin style
3) The crc outer and the default style

What I expect is that things should look good, except possibly
for recent work, such as search and maybe some Runestone features.
I can import the recent css work into the css required for the
overhaul branch.

That could get us to the next major milestone on the overhaul:
having everything working with the new HTML (recall that we
"improved" the structure of the header, navbar, TOC, footer, and
how those all fit together). It would be great if all of that
could become the new master/main branch.
That will require several people testing on their books.

There would still be work to have the React version be the default.
That will involve some changes in how we specify styles and colors,
and making the React version aware of the different style options.

David

Rob Beezer

Nov 11, 2022, 11:35:24 AM11/11/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
On 11/10/22 19:58, David Farmer wrote:
> I think I have made the CSS adjustments for the current overhaul
> branch with either

Great!

> a) the default outer styling, or
> b) the crc outer style.
>
> In either of those cases, the files that matter are
>
> shell_X.css
> banner_X.css
> navbar_X.css
> toc_X.css
>
> where X = "default" or X="crc".
>
> I was unable to tell if the pretext_html.xsl on the overhaul
> was doing that correctly (it seemed like it was, but I did not
> do a proper test).

I think so, but if I do (1), (2), (3), I'll need to check.

> What I think would help for the next step is, merge all the
> recent changes from master, such as the search boxes.

This is done. Not sure if our messages crossed in the ether.

> Then
> make a new overhaul betas with
>
> 1) The default outer and the default style
> 2) The default outer and the oscarlevin style
> 3) The crc outer and the default style
>
> What I expect is that things should look good, except possibly
> for recent work, such as search and maybe some Runestone features.
> I can import the recent css work into the css required for the
> overhaul branch.

Will do. But some braille outreach will be a priority for a few days, so
*might* be later next week.

> That could get us to the next major milestone on the overhaul:
> having everything working with the new HTML (recall that we
> "improved" the structure of the header, navbar, TOC, footer, and
> how those all fit together).  It would be great if all of that
> could become the new master/main branch.
> That will require several people testing on their books.

Yes, we would want all-hands-on-deck to clone my sandbox repo with overhail and
build. And we'd want to embargo certain changes to the "outer structure" while
that is happening (for a week?) Then I would cross my fingers and get overhaul
onto master and onto the main/official repository.

Rob

Rob Beezer

Nov 13, 2022, 10:54:36 PM11/13/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Three betas, as requested. The names should identify the combinations
requested. Diffs on the output look as expected. Uploading now, give it about
30 more minutes.

https://pretextbook.org/beta/2022-11-13-overhaul-default

https://pretextbook.org/beta/2022-11-13-overhaul-oscarlevin

https://pretextbook.org/beta/2022-11-13-overhaul-crc

Built with the "overhaul" branch at rbeezer/pretext. Last merge was three days
ago, and there has been no HTML work commited since then.

Rob

Thomas Shemanske

Nov 16, 2022, 10:41:14 AM11/16/22
to PreTeXt development
As we move forward to build and inspect the various branches, one further piece of information would be useful and that is a list of the css files such as
https://pretextbook.org/css/0.6/colors_blue_red.css.  For example the crc style had a different default color palette, but I have no idea what it is named.

The css directory is protected so cannot be downloaded, say via wget.

And is there a reason the javascript is inactive, e.g., for the content menu?

Cheers,

Tom

David W. Farmer

Nov 16, 2022, 11:01:30 AM11/16/22
to PreTeXt development

Dear Tom,

There are (at least) 2 steps in the process:

1) First get everything looking okay.

2) Then figure out what we plan to do with the JavaScript.

If we decide to have both a React and a non-React version,
then step 2) has two things to be done in parallel.

The React part of step 2) will require figuring out how to manage
colors and other publisher options (and I guess you are saying that
is already an issue).

I am pretty close with step 1), and may be able to provide more
information alter today.

Regards,

David

On Wed, 16 Nov 2022, Thomas Shemanske wrote:

> As we move forward to build and inspect the various branches, one further piece of information would be useful and
> that is a list of the css files such ashttps://pretextbook.org/css/0.6/colors_blue_red.css.  For example the crc
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/a7dd9ee8-85a5-414a-8778-b1180ea4133en%40googlegroups.com.

Jason Siefken

Nov 16, 2022, 11:08:30 AM11/16/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com, David W. Farmer
I'm not sure if it's been updated yet, but I know last time I looked (2 months ago...), the footer area was mostly a place holder. Once its content is finalized, I can add it to the react version and that should be good to go.

  Jason

Jason Siefken

Nov 16, 2022, 11:12:05 AM11/16/22
to prete...@googlegroups.com, David W. Farmer
One way to clean up the css quite a bit is via @import statements:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/@import

There could be exactly one (local) CSS file that is included in each page. ptx would configure that file to import the necessary themes, etc. This would also make it much easier for a publisher to customize themes (they wouldn't even need to recompile if they changed the local CSS by hand).