policy for LaTeX version

Alex Jordan

Jul 6, 2024, 2:45:57 PMJul 6
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Do we have a policy for how far back we support a LaTeX version? Recently I notice that I get these warnings when I build PDF:

Package siunitx Warning: Option "math-micro" has been removed in this release.
Package siunitx Warning: Option "text-micro" has been removed in this release.

These are coming from this line that pretext-latex.xsl adds:
\ifxetex\sisetup{math-micro=\text{µ},text-micro=µ}\fi\ifluatex\sisetup{math-micro=\text{µ},text-micro=µ}\fi%% Common non-SI units

Putting aside that I haven't investigated what happens with current siunitx and xelatex when the micro sign is used (which is the reason the above line is here in the first place), I wanted to know if PreTeXt has a policy about supporting old LaTeX versions.

Personally I would not be opposed to a policy that we only support the current and previous LaTeX releases (because we can only afford to test so many things...)

Rob Beezer

Jul 11, 2024, 10:20:17 AM (13 days ago) Jul 11
to prete...@googlegroups.com
No, there is no policy. Nor do I intend to create any policy where I think
common sense would work better. Is common sense that common? ;-)

We will do our best to support as many old versions of LaTeX as we can, just
like we do for Python. But sometimes our hand is forced.

The siunitx situtation sounds like the package has made a decision, and we
need to go along. Why did the package change? What upgrade path do they
provide? How can we best react? I think some details are missing on that one.

Right now xltxtra (sp?) is not breaking anything. If there is a new change that
is necessary and important (or maybe just desirable), then we will need to
assess the pros and cons.

From what I know (which is not complete) the two situations look very different
to me. For openers, the first was somebody else's decision, and the second is
our decision.

So a simple "we support two old versions" rule does not strike me as useful.

Rob