Design questions: video solutions, unnumbered containers

Sean Fitzpatrick

Jul 20, 2022, 10:29:58 AMJul 20
to PreTeXt development
We are trying to figure out what to do with videos in APEX. This concerns solutions to examples in particular, but videos generally are a question.

It was suggested by Greg Hartman that videos should not be numbered. Nobody disagrees with this, but removing numbers means removing captions: either a video is inside a figure, or it isn't.
But captions can be useful, to let the reader know why a video is there, e.g. "Video presentation of <xref ref="theorem-awesome"/>"

Would it be reasonable to create a container that carries a caption but isn't numbered?
We don't reference the videos in the main text, since we want the option to build the book without videos, for someone who wants to use APEX but doesn't want to see my face on every page.

If not, I would also need to figure out how to reorganize some of our examples.

Currently, we have many examples with markup like:

<example>
  <statement>
  </statement>
  <solution>
    <video..../>
  </solution>
</example>

We're considering changing the solution markup to:

<solution>
</solution>
<solution>
  <title>Video solution</title>
  <video.../>
</solution>

This should be fine, except we also have many examples that were written before "task" was implemented. Both the statement and the solution contain an <ol> to list the parts, and there is a single video solution covering all the parts.

If we move to tasks, each task gets its own solution.
I'm not sure if it's possible to have an additional solution following all the tasks.
If it is, that could work, but again it might be better to just move the video solution outside/below the example.

That is, either we do:

<task>
  statement/solution
</task>
<task>
  statement/solution
</task>
  <video.../>
</solution>

or we move the video solution out of the example altogether.
But in the latter case, we would want to have something like a caption to identify the video as providing the solution to the example above it.

Rob Beezer

Jul 21, 2022, 6:35:28 AMJul 21
to prete...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sean,

I'm a little lost in some of this. So some comments that might help. Drop-In
*next* week (not tomorrow) might also be a good time to discuss.

1. Special treatment of an "ol" in an "exercise" will be dropped some day. I
think it simply defaults to (a), (b),... "task" is the modern replacement. So,
sooner or later, you'll need to make those changes, so don't let that influence
decisions here.

2. A naked figure was the response to authors who did not want to have to put a
video into a figure. So there is no plan to provide something halfway
in-between. Someday there may be limited flexibility with numbering, but I'd
have to get back to the massive numbering-refactor job only partially
implemented (divisions) six months ago.

What's not to like about:

<video .... />

If you are making a no-video version, just put the lead-in "p" into the same
component as the "video".

Rob
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/e43324f9-83a9-4591-b439-1bef2a080865n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/e43324f9-83a9-4591-b439-1bef2a080865n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Jul 21, 2022, 6:57:05 AMJul 21
to PreTeXt development
Thanks Rob.

Over on the GitHub repo for APEX, it was suggested by David that using a short paragraph to introduce the video would be contrary to the philosophy of PreTeXt, as it is not structured content.

Aside from that objection, there's probably no reason we couldn't do this.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PreTeXt development" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/3fcd881e-fce2-a7e5-9311-e2e3c73788df%40ups.edu.

Rob Beezer

Jul 21, 2022, 7:12:29 AMJul 21
to prete...@googlegroups.com
A video without a container is like another paragraph and is part of the "flow"
so there is no problem with one element alluding to the next.
> <mailto:pretext-dev%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:pretext-dev...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:pretext-dev%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/e43324f9-83a9-4591-b439-1bef2a080865n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/e43324f9-83a9-4591-b439-1bef2a080865n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/3fcd881e-fce2-a7e5-9311-e2e3c73788df%40ups.edu
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/3fcd881e-fce2-a7e5-9311-e2e3c73788df%40ups.edu>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/CAH%2BNcPYc4PgBGW%2BD_84JvGubfL-zjX8kuAU89MEg6Gd_XEZK9A%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/CAH%2BNcPYc4PgBGW%2BD_84JvGubfL-zjX8kuAU89MEg6Gd_XEZK9A%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Jul 21, 2022, 7:40:43 AMJul 21
to PreTeXt development
Ok!
Now this goes back to the APEX group to see what they want to do.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pretext-dev/073f3e68-44dd-de58-495d-7d1543377c0a%40ups.edu.